Search for at
hagadoo.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Topgun Week #4/BiWeekly # 24 12-10 12pm est.-12--24 1pm est. DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:35 am
ron4560 View latest post
Topgun Week #4/BiWeekly # 24 12-3 -12-17 CANCELLED DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 8 Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:58 pm
Jimbo1952 View latest post
Balloons in Silly Snake DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:16 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post
Toggun#3/Biweekly #23 11-19-12-3 Results DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:04 am
ron4560 View latest post
1st Deer with a Bow Deer Hunter 2005 jummpy123 3 Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:42 pm
ron4560 View latest post
alot of dh2005 questions Deer Hunter 2005 cowboy 8 Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 pm
ron4560 View latest post
recording and screenshots Info, questions and suggestions for hunts. cowboy 4 Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm
cowboy View latest post
Topgun Week # 2/BiWeekly # 22 11-5 -11-19 3 pm est -2 pm est DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 2 Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:52 pm
ron4560 View latest post

Favorite hunting tactics?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    hagadoo.com Forum Index -> Deer Hunter 2005
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mudtrout

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:39 pm Post subject: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

So what hunting strategies do you all like to use?

I still consider myself an amateur at this point. I've shot a handful of RB and two WR deer and haven't gone far past the 10 hour marker. I've never taken the DH series too serious as I was just 10 when the first one came out. Even with the sequels I just wanted nothing more than to be able to find deer and shoot them. But now, as I am older, I like that this sequel offers more: awards and records to aspire to. So on that note, I've been wondering what tactics other hunters find works best for them. I'd like to see and take a few more WRs. ;)

So far I've just been using a stalking method of sorts. I enter the map and travel down wind, sidestepping and scanning the landscape as I go, hoping to see something. For the most part I use the doe's estrus scent and intermittent doe in heat calls. Because I like to hunt maps with ground objects set to ultra, it can be difficult to spot deer, and I've actually taken half a dozen or so bucks (including my first RB roe deer) just because they've called back after I have made a call, where the sound was close but I was unable to see them, but setting up and jumping into the tripod revealed their location. ;)

One of the things I was wondering is if the big buck scent is more effective? I typically hunt during the rut.

I haven't done a lot of sitting and calling, first, because I get really fidgety, and second because I started with calling at 0% and it's only at 20% now, waiting on a skill point from WRs to bring it up to 40%. It's not too terribly reliable at 20%. :P

So enough rambling. What do you folks do?
ron4560
Site Owner
Legend
Past Legend

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:49 pm Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

Not real surprised that know one has come forward to give up their secrects to how they hunt!! If you had 100 hunters in a Private room you would still get 100 diffrent answers ! We all Think we know something know one else knows BUT it's mostly Luck in the long run(How many hours you put in is a bonus) We can't all hunt 24/7 .Put enough time in at the Target range to know your weapon of choice for the week !                Myself I never use scents as I'm a run and gun hunter,but with that said sometimes you have to adapt to the map! Sometimes a stand or maybe the rattle,blep ,grunt or or what everelse you have with you.
You say you like your ground object set to ultra and thats fine,but 99.9 of us have it low so not to lose a WR or Rare because we couldn't track or the grass was to high to see it after the kill !
My 2 cents !!

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
Mudtrout

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:43 am Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

Hahaha. I wasn't looking for secrets so much as general strategies like what calls or lures seem to be more effective or if sitting and calling might be worthwhile rather than running and gunning. But I suppose that could be considered a secret. Lol. I like the ultra setting because it's beautiful and I guess I almost feel like I am cheating myself if I take the ground objects off. It's most rewarding to take a big buck when you know that you had to work for him. I'd probably take them off if I participated in a weekly hunt just so I don't handicap myself against the rest. Who knows I might start lowering it to medium or something just so I can get a bit more action. Thanks for the response. Smile
RutMaster

usa.gif

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:52 am Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

I don't use the scents..I've heard that some of them scare the deer. Depending on the map determines how I hunt it. However...I always have my Rattles, to turn that pesky deer that just keeps moving away. I by no means have mastered this thing but have found by using different techniques early in the weeks hunt you can figure out what works and then go from there.

Get registered or Log in

Visit Revolution-Mods.com Today
Mudtrout

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:30 pm Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

Good plan, Rut. I guess tactics would depend on the map a lot. I know I like to stick to hills when I can so that I can see across more terrain on maps like that. I haven't yet participated in a weekly hunt but I plan to in the near future. Smile
Magnum1973

usa.gif

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:53 pm Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

I am not sure about it but I don't think the scents work on 05.  I know on 04 the scents scare the deer away.  One trick you should use is when you load on a map.  Look for white white areas on the map, they are usually hills or mountains.  If it is a hilly map I try to stay on the hills so that I keep an over watch on the animals.

Ron's tactic works pretty good also but only after you have kicked back a few cold ones.  So if you are underage, just run and gun. lol

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Magnum1973

usa.gif

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:54 pm Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

One more note, if I had any sure fire tactics on guaranteeing deer, I would share them.  Unfortunately I never dedicated a lot of time figuring out the game so anything I get is by pure luck.

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
DeerKillers

italy.gif

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:21 pm Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

A good tactic is using the antler call.

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Visit Nuke Evolution Today
Mudtrout

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Yeah I use the antler call a lot. I didn't realize that the scents didn't work or might scare the deer. I'm going to stop using them and see if I notice a difference in the spookiness of the deer. I suppose the game itself is a lot about luck anyway. You need the deer to load and then need to be able to find them and take them down.
momom

usa.gif

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

I know the guys don't think the scents work, but after watching the wildlife feature, I have used them along with the grunt, antlers and done very well at calling in mule deer, and whitetail.  Not so much with axis, and the process seems to scare roe.... lol.  I have no idea what to do with the blacktail......but watch the bucks  fight on the wild life feature.....see how long they go antler to antler to get an idea on how long to use them.  You can't blow an antler call, lol.  Just duplicate what you see there.
BLACKBART

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:59 pm Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

SOME SEEMINGLY KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE ON A DIFFERENT FORUM WERE ALL OF THE OPINION THAT THE SCENTS AND SCENT STOMPER  DO NOT WORK. I HAVE USED THEM BUT CAN NOT TELL IF THEY DID ANYTHING. TRY THEM AND SEE. I ALWAYS HUNT ON ULTRA BECAUSE YOU CAN SEE RUBS AND SCRAPES THAT DON'T SHOW UP ON LOWER SETTINGS. IF I SHOOT A DEER AND IT DOES NOT DROP OR I HAVE TO TRACK IT, I PAUSE THE GAME, GO TO SETTINGS AND CHANGE TO LOW AND THEN, AFTER FINDING THE DEER, GO BACK TO ULTRA. IT SEEMS LIKE ON MOST MAPS I HAVE THE BEST LUCK AROUND THE BLINDS. I USUALLY START AT ONE BLIND, CALL AND RATTLE A LITTLE, AND THEN HUNT MY WAY TO THE NEXT BLIND. PAY STRICT ATTENTION TO THE WIND SOCK!!  I NEVER HUNT WITH THE WIND AT MY BACK, I TRY TO USE ONLY THE 180 DEGREES THAT PUTS THE WIND IN MY FAVOR. I SET MY TRACKING AT 80%, STEALTH @ 80%, CALLING @ 80%, WEAPONS @ 80%, PRESENCE @ 100%, AND 0 ON STRENGTH, I DON'T SEE WHERE STRENGTH POINTS WOULD HELP ME ANY AND I WOULDN'T WANT TO TRADE OFF ANY OTHER POINTS IN ORDER TO HAVE STRENGTH POINTS. YOU CAN ALSO TRY HUNTING ONLY THE LAST 4 TO 6 HOURS OF THE HUNT, THAT SEEMS TO BE WHEN I SEE THE BIGGEST ONES. EXPERIMENT AND TRY DIFFERENT THINGS ,LEARN WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU, THAT IS REALLY WHERE THE FUN IS.
BLACKBART

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:15 pm Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

Get registered or Log in

SAME TREE, SAME HUNT,PIC ON LEFT=ULTRA, PIC ON RIGHT=LOW
RUBS DO SHOW UP IN MEDIUM AND HIGH SETTING JUST NOT IN LOW.
Get registered or Log in

Last edited by BLACKBART on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Visit Nuke Evolution Today
DeerKillers

italy.gif

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:35 am Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

Please try to write without the caps lock on, because it's hard to read the text for a old man lol  Smile
And we can't see the pics here too...

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Mudtrout

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:43 am Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

I've never seen a rub or a scrape. I have tracking at 60% as per the recommendation of a site. Is it not high enough to see them or have I just never crossed paths with them? Btw... does strength or weapons skill have anything to do with the distance limit at which a buck can be shot and taken down where he stands? That is, do those skills allow longer distance shots to take a buck down without him running before falling? I also read somewhere that the same deer will load again and again on a map and that visiting the target range makes new ones load. Is this true?
REZ325
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Site Admin
Staff

usa.gif

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:45 am Post subject: Re: Favorite hunting tactics? Reply with quote

Mudtrout @ Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:43 pm wrote:
I've never seen a rub or a scrape. I have tracking at 60% as per the recommendation of a site. Is it not high enough to see them or have I just never crossed paths with them?

He's not talking about your profile setting (ie..tracking), he's talking about your game video setting.

Get registered or Log in
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view hagadoo.com Forum Index ->  Deer Hunter 2005 All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: