Search for at
hagadoo.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Topgun Week # 2/BiWeekly # 22 11-5 -11-19 3 pm est -2 pm est DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:57 pm
miriambrenda View latest post
recording and screenshots Info, questions and suggestions for hunts. cowboy 3 Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:08 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post
Biweekly #19 09-24 - 10-08 Results DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm
Vic View latest post
PM's General Talk REZ325 1 Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:17 pm
alot of dh2005 questions Deer Hunter 2005 cowboy 6 Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:33 pm
REZ325 View latest post
Results Topgun Week 1/Biweekly #21 10-22 -11-5 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm
ron4560 View latest post
1st Deer with a Bow Deer Hunter 2005 jummpy123 2 Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:16 pm
Result Hunt Biweekly Hunt # 20 10-08-10-22 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 2 Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:16 pm
ron4560 View latest post

Some thoughts on the hunter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    hagadoo.com Forum Index -> The Hunter
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magnum1973

usa.gif

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:15 am Post subject: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

I have been reading some of the posts over at the hunter forums and some of the things people say just really blow my mind.  

1. Testing is closed.  Now people will say that the DEV's really listen.  I will say that for the most part they do but there are still some serious flaws in the game.  ex. Get to close to edge of stand to shoot deer and you shoot the stand.  Yet I still see people posting that these problems have been addressed and will be resolved.  Yes months ago they were addressed and still there are problems.  

2.  Servers.  It seems like just about every day I see a post that the servers will be closed for maintenance.  Did no one plan for the surge of hunters and the potential problems that could be caused?  It hasn't happened to me but I see a bunch of people not being able to get on because the server is full.  Buy a membership and get 3 months free, that is no freebie, you will spend that much time with server down time and waiting to connect.

3.  Trophy room.  Just by reading some of the post by lemetatron, I don't think this will happen soon.  Someone made a post asking when elk will be added.  His response was I think you will see a trophy room before the elk.  Some of the users posted that this was great.   Am I missing something?  This is great?  There is no time table for when a trophy room will be added and this will happen before elk? How long do they expect people to hunt md,wt and turkey and pay to do that?

4. The hunter is open for buisness.  Any upgrades yet?  New weapons?  Calls?  Maybe it should say the hunter is open to take your money.

5.  I see people posting they want air rifles so they can shoot small game.  Please stop with the insanity.  They can't even get the deer to walk right IMO and you want them to add small game? Shocked Why do you want to hunt small game?  Bored all ready with the choice of animals you have to hunt?  Doesn't say much for the future sucess of this game.

6.  Multi-player, I don't even think we will see this anytime soon.  Heck I think you might see Christmas before this.

I will be sure to post back with some more stuff but these are the things that have really got me pissed off lately.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
DeerKillers

italy.gif

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:44 am Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

Magnum1973 @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:15 pm wrote:
I have been reading some of the posts over at the hunter forums and some of the things people say just really blow my mind.  

1. Testing is closed.  Now people will say that the DEV's really listen.  I will say that for the most part they do but there are still some serious flaws in the game.  ex. Get to close to edge of stand to shoot deer and you shoot the stand.  Yet I still see people posting that these problems have been addressed and will be resolved.  Yes months ago they were addressed and still there are problems.  

2.  Servers.  It seems like just about every day I see a post that the servers will be closed for maintenance.  Did no one plan for the surge of hunters and the potential problems that could be caused?  It hasn't happened to me but I see a bunch of people not being able to get on because the server is full.  Buy a membership and get 3 months free, that is no freebie, you will spend that much time with server down time and waiting to connect.

3.  Trophy room.  Just by reading some of the post by lemetatron, I don't think this will happen soon.  Someone made a post asking when elk will be added.  His response was I think you will see a trophy room before the elk.  Some of the users posted that this was great.   Am I missing something?  This is great?  There is no time table for when a trophy room will be added and this will happen before elk? How long do they expect people to hunt md,wt and turkey and pay to do that?

4. The hunter is open for buisness.  Any upgrades yet?  New weapons?  Calls?  Maybe it should say the hunter is open to take your money.

5.  I see people posting they want air rifles so they can shoot small game.  Please stop with the insanity.  They can't even get the deer to walk right IMO and you want them to add small game? Shocked Why do you want to hunt small game?  Bored all ready with the choice of animals you have to hunt?  Doesn't say much for the future sucess of this game.

6.  Multi-player, I don't even think we will see this anytime soon.  Heck I think you might see Christmas before this.

I will be sure to post back with some more stuff but these are the things that have really got me pissed off lately.

I agree. I don't play the hunter from 2 weeks now. I haven't seen any improvements or any new build...

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Mossyback_Moe

usa.gif

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:06 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

All I've seen is "buy this" and "buy that" and talk about monthly subscription fees. In my opinion, it's just another half-assed ripoff.

If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch...

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
RutMaster

usa.gif

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:48 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

Hopefully they will get the "kinks" out of it so we can have some tourny's here.

Get registered or Log in

Visit DFG-GAMING.COM Today
Magnum1973

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

RutMaster @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:48 pm wrote:
Hopefully they will get the "kinks" out of it so we can have some tourny's here.

Chris, I guess that is one of my points I was trying to get across.  They stopped testing and went full bore on selling and the bugs aren't worked out.  Kind of like selling some one a new car you designed but then only giving them the tires because you don't have the rest finished.  Laughing

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Arrowslinger

usa.gif

Reputation: 5.3Reputation: 5.3Reputation: 5.3Reputation: 5.3Reputation: 5.3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:39 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

First of all I may get banned for this, if so so be it I have been around a long time no skin off my nose. Sure thehunter needs work and it was stated long ago "work in progress" I am willing to aceppt this and take them at their word awhile.

Magnum1973 @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:12 pm wrote:

Huh? The developers have stated many times they are still working on the project, testers had time to go through it making sure things work. The release is also IMO being used as a testing grounds also, hell I am all for this as I want to voice opinions and have. The problem you point out is funny because I sent a support email about it, in short it seems they were working on the idea if you can see the edge of the stand in the scope this would happen. They also stated this will be looked into more in the future.

Several online games have had this happen in the beginning nothing new

I want this part fine tuned, from the screen shots of the score sheets I like it and again willing to give it time.

This is an online server based game, just as when you pay the new stuff appears so will all the other.

The same thing happens on all forums with the announcement of a new hunting seem, BB guns, paintball guns etc. The deer in this game have the others beat hands down, a little strange to look at maybe but the developers are working from the UK and Sweden. They still look more real and act more real than any hunting sim made. Bored? I dont see that in the community at all.

Again I want this right so I am willing to wait, jesus its been public a month!

Your posts has "sour grapes" all over it.

Athlon 64 x2 5200+ Brisbane
ASUS M2N-SLI NForce 4 v.1.1
2 GB (1024mb x 2) Corsair DDR2
MSI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit GDDR3
SOUND: nFORCE
Hitachi HD 320 SATAII
Optiarc DVD RW Optiarc
LGE W2600 25.5"
WinVista HP, SP1
REZ325
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Site Admin
Staff

usa.gif

votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:03 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

Arrowslinger @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:39 pm wrote:
First of all I may get banned for this, if so so be it I have been around a long time no skin off my nose. Sure thehunter needs work and it was stated long ago "work in progress" I am willing to aceppt this and take them at their word awhile.

Magnum1973 @ Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:12 pm wrote:

Huh? The developers have stated many times they are still working on the project, testers had time to go through it making sure things work. The release is also IMO being used as a testing grounds also, hell I am all for this as I want to voice opinions and have. The problem you point out is funny because I sent a support email about it, in short it seems they were working on the idea if you can see the edge of the stand in the scope this would happen. They also stated this will be looked into more in the future.

Several online games have had this happen in the beginning nothing new

I want this part fine tuned, from the screen shots of the score sheets I like it and again willing to give it time.

This is an online server based game, just as when you pay the new stuff appears so will all the other.

The same thing happens on all forums with the announcement of a new hunting seem, BB guns, paintball guns etc. The deer in this game have the others beat hands down, a little strange to look at maybe but the developers are working from the UK and Sweden. They still look more real and act more real than any hunting sim made. Bored? I dont see that in the community at all.

Again I want this right so I am willing to wait, jesus its been public a month!

Your posts has "sour grapes" all over it.

You are not going to get banned for expressing your view. Your view was not disrespectful or offensive in any way. Smile  Now about Mag's view. A while back, we (the hunting community) were promised a new game, DHT. It was fair, and that's  giving it a lot! (My view) They, the developers promised the world in fixes, we are still waiting!!!! Needless to say, the game collects a lot of dust now. Now the hunter comes along, WOW first impression!, second impression, holy cow, my 499 Wally world computer can't play it! What will I do? Oh, buy a new video card, but BUY a membership first! All of us are probably waiting to see changes, upgrades & fixes first, we all learned our lessons from DHT well. When we complained about it, we got blasted in the forums, just like "the Hunter". Don't get me wrong, I like the hunter & want to bring it to Hagadoo. But this will only happen after I see some basic fixes too it. Did you ever notice you can log on to buy a membership, but not to play? I know they are  working on it, So was SLS with DHT. But they should have thought of these problems before asking people for there money!

Happy Hunting

Get registered or Log in
Arrowslinger

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:20 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

I understand your points I really do, but you cant base a CD based game and patch downloads to this type, two different animals all together.

Heck I spent 50 bucks on a video card upgrade of course knowing it would work first, some of them are buying high end cards and trying to match them up with old single core 2 ghz processors. Hell its like putting 3000 dollar wheels on a 78 ford, sure they work but do they look good?

This game is much like Far Cry was and Crysis is you really need the horsepower to enjoy it, believe me from my 8500GT to the ATI 4670 1GB made a huge difference I could spend hours just trasping around in the darn thing :)

The server thing does bug me, of course as I stated this has happened with other games and who would have ever thought a hunting sim would have brought all this attention?

BUT, after I paid I have not had issues logging in whenever I like, as a free player I only could long in after 7 pm CST. I was always okay with paying members getting in first.

Again this is a different type of hunting sim, I may eat these words later but I think time will tell and show this to be the master of all the hunting titles.

The one thing that really bothers me in this economic time we are in is this post I made over on theHunter forum:

Discussing this with some friends HORRID THOUGHT!
by Arrowslinger on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:58 pm

One of my friends comments:

I agree the most awesome hunting sim bar none, but lets say in a year you have weapons, trophies, extra map areas, made a career in the sim and the company finds it not feasible to continue?

How do you continue? Do you? Will it be lost forever? Will they fix it so you could continue to play with what you have?

I never even thought of this?

That one does puzzle me a bit.

Hitachi HD 320 SATAII
Optiarc DVD RW Optiarc
LGE W2600 25.5"
WinVista HP, SP1
Visit RealmDesignz Today
Vidar

norway.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:10 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

I agree that theHunter was opened up to the public too early.  As Mag pointed out the bugs and fixes should be ironed out before they started to accept money.  But I guess in this case (as with DHT) the need for cash outweigh the will to fix the bugs - hopefully for now.  
But I fear that this strategy might backfire on them if they don't release an update or at least some new content to the game in the upcoming days.  The majority of the new gamers entering the Evergreen Hunting Reserve are as far as I can tell coming from games like COD, WaW, BF etc - fast action FPS games, and some WoW'ers. There's no way these players will stick around for long even though the graphics are good.  It will be the short version of wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am..

I wonder how they (Emote/Avalanche) will handle this. Will they stick to their initial statements like "The Hunter promises to be the most realistic hunting simulator ever seen." or will they shift focus towards keeping the new masses happy and paying?  
There's quite a few of us from the virtual hunting sites that fear that they will move away from the promises they made.  Only time will tell.

Also want to add one comment about DHT, in case we have members here not familiar with the Atari/SouthLogic Studios constellation .  As you mentioned Ray, SLS did work hard on that game to the very end of the test period. Atari then made the decision to release it, even though it was not ready.  This seems to be how Atari like to do things..

Get registered or Log in
Lucky
Map Maker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:30 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

A few words from someone who has enjoyed deer hunter 2005 for over 5 years now.

The hunter is sort of like eye candy with no real content.

Without multiplayer it will fail

Without a trophy room it will fail

Without a way to add custom maps it will fail

I listened to the praise in the forums and listened to the people that upgraded their video cards and followed suit.

I purchased a 3 month license to try it out,
But if none of the above come about within that time period it will be dismantled from my hard drive and put to sleep like DHT.

If the developers had tried to make a hunting sim instead of a social world it might work

If they had made the mule deer look like mule deer instead of anorexic big roe it might work.

If I could hunt where I wanted to on the map instead of having to start every time at 2
Locations only. It might work.

If the developers listen to all of the ideas and bugs and fix them it might work.

If I didn’t have to hear sarcasm from Doc it might work.

If I didn’t have to complete a mission and just go kill a World Record , Whitetail , Mule , Axis. Roe, Black tail, Caribou, Moose or Mountain lion it might work.

If I had some kind of transportation to travel the vast map instead of walking or running and hearing myself breathe heavy but never tire it might work.

Until and unless it happens I will save my money and I will be happy to keep my 9 dollar and 99 cent Deer Hunter 2005 with my favorite selection of custom maps that I have enjoyed for almost 5 years.

Well maybe it was more than a few words…………..

Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in
Magnum1973

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:20 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

Why is it sour grapes whenever someone points out the flaws of this game.(that is not directed at your AS, the same thing was said to me in the beta forums) Do people think I am just talking out my AZZ.  I have been around the community a long time, I have read posts and listened to what a lot of people have asked for in a game.  Aside from the pretty graphics I personally think it falls short of what a lot of people want..  I made a post in the beta forums that they should take a look at DH2005 and DH2004 and what has made them last so long. Those things would be multi-player, different hunting environments, a trophy room, deer that walk right.  I think Vidar was testing before the latest version was released.  Maybe he has noticed someting different but I haven't seen any major changes.  If they want to keep the money rolling in and keep the community getting bigger, then they need to have a few sleepless night and get things fixed.

Note:  Atari is not the only bad guy when it comes to DHT.  SLS had the chance to go a different route and keep Atari out of the picture but they went where the quick cash was.  If you touch a hot pot and get burnt, you don't put hand back on it unless you want to get burnt again.

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Arrowslinger

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:30 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

Yea I guess if there aint some sort of patch to download means they must just be sitting back laughing rolling in the cash  Rolling Eyes

I cant believe all the gripes on a game thats been out in public a single month everyone wanted "realistic" well I got news for you, this is it.

Without multiplayer it will fail

A BIG assumption!

Without a trophy room it will fail

Seen the prelimary screenshots? In case your busy slamming and not reading:

http://www.thehunter.com/pub/devblog.php

Without a way to add custom maps it will fail

Can you walk 20 ACTUAL miles in any DH series map without going in circles seeing the same area rendered over and over? And this one is just the first, I will sacrafice tons of maps for huge areas.

If the developers had tried to make a hunting sim instead of a social world it might work

Multiplayer = Social Network, Since DH3 its been a "social world"

If they had made the mule deer look like mule deer instead of anorexic big roe it might work.

This is where we agree I admit they look strange, but no denying the actions and the look is more realistic than the cartoon look.

If I could hunt where I wanted to on the map instead of having to start every time at 2
Locations only. It might work.

Again we agree, different spawn points are needed

If the developers listen to all of the ideas and bugs and fix them it might work.

Again we agree

If I didn’t have to hear sarcasm from Doc it might work.

I like this feature, first happened to me when I lost a wounded deer, lot of people who never hunted seem to outnumber the real hunters, leave it in

If I didn’t have to complete a mission and just go kill a World Record , Whitetail , Mule , Axis. Roe, Black tail, Caribou, Moose or Mountain lion it might work.

You dont have to complete missions now to get on the leader board, I dont see it changing for the trophy rooms once implemented.

Hitachi HD 320 SATAII
Optiarc DVD RW Optiarc
LGE W2600 25.5"
WinVista HP, SP1
Visit DFG-GAMING.COM Today
Magnum1973

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:43 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

Quote:
I cant believe all the gripes on a game thats been out in public a single month everyone wanted "realistic" well I got news for you, this is it.

See that is where I can gripe, I have been playing it longer then a month. Laughing  No one wants the game to fail they just want what they want. If that makes sense.  I won't settle for "this is it", if this is it, they can delete my account and I will keep playing joint ops.

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Arrowslinger

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:45 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

Magnum1973 @ Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:17 am wrote:
Why is it sour grapes whenever someone points out the flaws of this game.(that is not directed at your AS, the same thing was said to me in the beta forums) Do people think I am just talking out my AZZ.  I have been around the community a long time, I have read posts and listened to what a lot of people have asked for in a game.  Aside from the pretty graphics I personally think it falls short of what a lot of people want..  I made a post in the beta forums that they should take a look at DH2005 and DH2004 and what has made them last so long. Those things would be multi-player, different hunting environments, a trophy room, deer that walk right.  I think Vidar was testing before the latest version was released.  Maybe he has noticed someting different but I haven't seen any major changes.  If they want to keep the money rolling in and keep the community getting bigger, then they need to have a few sleepless night and get things fixed.

Note:  Atari is not the only bad guy when it comes to DHT.  SLS had the chance to go a different route and keep Atari out of the picture but they went where the quick cash was.  If you touch a hot pot and get burnt, you don't put hand back on it unless you want to get burnt again.

Well I just think it is a bit early to start mentioning failure.

I have hunted many hours in it, the AI works well and there are areas where you sit and go "are there any deer in this dam game"  Laughing

I so remember with dh2004 and 2005 people having to run for video cards on that unoptimized engine, but so did that happen with DH3.

I still think fixes are not going to be announced in a "get the download" manner, when I paid I got no new download, the stuff was just there.

I made a pact with myself to give it six months just to see where it goes, then I may be on the other side of the debate.

Hitachi HD 320 SATAII
Optiarc DVD RW Optiarc
LGE W2600 25.5"
WinVista HP, SP1
Magnum1973

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:58 pm Post subject: Re: Some thoughts on the hunter Reply with quote

The big fixes come in downloading a new client. I think we are on version 5 all ready. Updating your account is just something that is all ready built into the server.  When you pay it unlocks.

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view hagadoo.com Forum Index ->  The Hunter All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: