Search for at
hagadoo.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Topgun Week 1/Biweekly #21 10-22 -11-5 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:35 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Result Hunt Biweekly Hunt # 20 10-08-10-22 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:37 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Biweekly #19 09-24 - 10-08 Results DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Biweekly # 20 10-8 -10-22 2:pm est. -10-22 1pm est. DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:54 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Back after 8 Years Introduce yourself MarkGS 4 Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:55 am
MarkGS View latest post
Hunt #18 Results 9-10 -9-24 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 pm
REZ325 View latest post
BiWeekly Hunt # 19 9-24 -10-08 2:00pm est. -10-08 1:00pm est DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 2 Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:36 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Moving House. General Talk DanthemanBoone 5 Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:34 am
Jimbo1952 View latest post

Too Many Custom Maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    hagadoo.com Forum Index -> Deer Hunter 2005
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiloh

usa.gif

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:43 am Post subject: Too Many Custom Maps? Reply with quote

Personally, I've downloaded up to maybe a dozen and a half custom maps, and now when I click on one the the maps, (custom) they almost always take forever to load. I've noticed if I play more on the game though, it usually works faster.
But is there such a thing where I can have '"Too Many" custom maps? I hope not ;^;
DanthemanBoone
Staff
Map Maker

newzealand.gif

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:41 pm Post subject: Re: Too Many Custom Maps? Reply with quote

Custom maps can take a lot longer to load than the standard maps.
Hybrid custom maps will take even longer to load than standard custom maps.
The first time you load a map takes the longest.. but if you leave and enter the same map again, because it is already loaded, it only takes a few seconds to open.
If you change the map and them come back to it later in the session, it will have to load again from scratch.

The reasons are because the standard maps included in the game are part of the game system but the custom content of the maps held in the custom level folder has to be loaded each time they are chosen.
Also the standard maps are smaller and do not have custom objects included, custom objects are not part of the game resources, but are included in and add greatly to the size of the map folder being loaded.
Generally the larger the map folder the longer it will take to load.

The whole Idea of introducing the Hybrid patch was to eliminate the need to include any of the objects in the patch being added to each map spk and transported  every time the map was uploaded or downloaded. So one download of the patch will load all those objects into the game where the become part of the game resource and do not have to be transported with the spk every time.

But of course map builders will go on putting more and more in the maps, and the more room that is made in the spk the more items we will add .

A spk that is 4 or 5 mb will load pretty quickly whereas a spk of 30 or 40 mb will take longer.
The relative mb rating of maps, roughly indicates the amount of custom content that has been included, and bears no relation to the size in area of a map. A map 5km across can have a smaller total MB than a map that is 1km across.
A map with lots of custom sound files will be huge because sound files are large in comparison to any other type of file.

Your custom level folder is only limited by the size of your hard drive, it would be possible to fill the custom level folder with maps that took up all the available space not used by the operating system, and that would still make no difference to your loading speed.

The things that will make a difference are.
Size of map
Capacity  of your processor ( single or multiple Cores ) and its speed. IE the more powerfull your system the faster it will load.
State of your computer.. when did you last do any maintenance.. registry check/clean, disc check and defragment.
Number of other processes running in the background.

Generally though you do not need to worry about how many maps you have in your folder.

Old Hunters never die.They just sit around the campfire and tell the biggest lies.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
REZ325
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Site Admin
Staff

usa.gif

votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:36 pm Post subject: Re: Too Many Custom Maps? Reply with quote

Shiloh @ Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:43 am wrote:
Personally, I've downloaded up to maybe a dozen and a half custom maps, and now when I click on one the the maps, (custom) they almost always take forever to load. I've noticed if I play more on the game though, it usually works faster.
But is there such a thing where I can have '"Too Many" custom maps? I hope not ;^;

Great question! Smile
When I was hunting hard and a lot, I had probably 30 to 40 maps in my folder, it has nothing to do with how long they take to load Smile
Everything DanthemanBoone said is spot on, I will re-emphasize this one point though, Your hard drive and processing speed is the biggest factor, IMO. If you are on and old machine bought at Wal-mart, IT WILL TAKE FOREVER to load, BUT,........... if you are on a custom build with a SSD with a (lets say) 3.8Ghz multi-core processor, the maps will load the fastest, any thing else, and you will wait for the map to load.
Our custom maps that or members make are usually well detailed with a lot of objects on them. These maps will always be slow to load, like Dan said, but they are some of the finest for the game on the internet.
Enjoy & Happy Hunting!

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
pappy

canada.gif

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:20 pm Post subject: Re: Too Many Custom Maps? Reply with quote

hello all. i too, have noticed that if i have too many custom maps loaded, that the load time is longer. when i down-load the new custom maps, i put them into a "try new map folder" on my desk-top. i then, load one at a time into custom maps and try them out. as each hunter has their own criteria for hunting on custom maps, the maps i check out and they really interest me, i move them into another folder called "check this map out" i then, load that map into my custom map section on dh2005 and really play it hard. i have all the deer species catagories set up and if the map is what really interests me, i place it into one of the appropriate species catagories for future playing. i have one folder which is "my favorites" which i have all my super good maps stored in I ONLY LOAD ONE MAP AT A TIME TO PLAY IT. i really applaude all the super great map-makers which submit their maps on Hagadoo. i do not have the abilities to do what they all do and i feel that any member of Hagadoo that plays any map that has been submitted, and they enjoy it it, send a response in to them and congratulate that map-maker for his time and effort which was put into the making of that map. to all you great map-makers....THANK-YOU

KEEP YOUR NOSE TO THE WIND AND YOUR POWDER DRY...
Visit Nuke Evolution Today
Shiloh

usa.gif

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:06 am Post subject: Re: Too Many Custom Maps? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! I appreciated it a lot.

I have just about a little more than a half of my harddrive space left. I've noticed that they do load faster, as Dan said, if you had played them just before. There was another problem, but it was probably just a mistake I had made when downloading so many maps at the same time.

But other than that, to also include, my computer is actually a laptop with probably less space than you'd get with one of those bulky ones with the monitors, (which I also have, but I'm not allowed onto for some reason T^T) but as far as I know, my laptop isn't very old.

Thanks again! Very Happy
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view hagadoo.com Forum Index ->  Deer Hunter 2005 All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: