Search for at
hagadoo.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Biweekly # 20 10-8 -10-22 2:pm est. -10-22 1pm est. DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:54 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Biweekly #19 09-24 - 10-08 Results DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Back after 8 Years Introduce yourself MarkGS 4 Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:55 am
MarkGS View latest post
Hunt #18 Results 9-10 -9-24 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 pm
REZ325 View latest post
BiWeekly Hunt # 19 9-24 -10-08 2:00pm est. -10-08 1:00pm est DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 2 Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:36 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Moving House. General Talk DanthemanBoone 5 Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:34 am
Jimbo1952 View latest post
Hunt #17 Results 8-27 - 9-10 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:28 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Hunt # 18 9-10 2pm est - 9-24 est. DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:25 am
ron4560 View latest post

Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    hagadoo.com Forum Index -> Deer Hunter 2005 Map Making
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky
Map Maker

usa.gif

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:52 pm Post subject: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

For those of you who use Win7 I ran into a glitch in the DH2005 Map Editor if certain conditions exist.

I will explain the Problem first then if it happens to someone else this will solve the dilemma I have had for about 6 months of agonizing Evil or Very Mad  , hair pulling, cussing Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad , heavy drinking and generally being an old Grumpy Twisted Evil .

While trying to make a map about 6 months ago I was in the map editor adding an object from the DH2004 data that the hybrid map patch lets you use to make your maps.
I would make the selection after I found what I wanted to add from the list then hit the enter key or the right mouse button like I always have.   To my chagrin it would not let me add my selection as my computer had put extra characters at the end of the .j3d

such as "data\world\models\04 dyn obj\cottonwood[dyn]_c.j3d"  I would highlight that and the editor instead of putting it in the box would give me an error message stating that it could not find "data\world\models\04 dyn obj\cottonwood[dyn]_c.j3dš¢©"  and would not  work.  Mad    

I tried everything I re-installed DH2005 , the Map editor, the hybrid all the updates and still could not make it work.   Frustration set in and after 1000 tries and I quit map making.   After some Prompting from Dantheman Boone.   I went back to the editor to try and make a map again the same problem came up so I elicited his knowledge and help thinking maybe we could come up with a solution.   Needless to say both him and I banged our head against the wall with no solution.  Mad

Once in a while I could make it work by highlighting the entry & un-checking the box marked "Show preview" and instead of clicking on OK I would instead hit the enter key and it would work and the object would be added to the filename in the File browser and I could load it to the map Cool  that is the way I finally finished " Kern Mountain" and submitted it to Dantheman for loading to the site.   It would not happen every time and would again give me the above mentioned error.  Still Frustrating enough so that I again give up map making for some time.  

After talking to Dan on MSN messenger and following some of his advice like checkdisk, and scans for a virus and ect. I just had a feeling it was setting on Windows 7 that I wasn't aware of.   but I couldn't think of what .  I knew it was either something I had set or windows had set for me so I went hunting the way windows was set up .  

While looking at my Control Panel under Appearance and Personalization there is a section and folder called Fonts down at the bottom.

Over to the far right of that is a section called Adjust Clear Type Text if you click on that
a window will appear that has a checkbox in it that states "Turn on ClearType and I had at some time in the past clicked on that box and turned it on.   as it had a checkmark in it
I think it may have been when I was having problems seeing the type in the map editor
because of a condition I have with Glaucoma Suspect.

I simply unchecked that box and tried the Map Editor again and the 6 months of searching for a solution was over.    this Post is to keep someone else from having the same or similar problem with Win 7 and the DH2005 Map Editor.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in
REZ325
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Site Admin
Staff

usa.gif

votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:15 pm Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

Lucky, Thank you. I went and "Sticky" this so it will be towards the top of the map making section for other map makers to see Smile I want to thank you personally , along with all the others who continue to support and add content to this site, keeping our game alive. Your many hours of work are appreciated by me and all that visit
Thanks again,
You too Dan Smile

Get registered or Log in
drwhitetail

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:22 pm Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

I'm having this exact same problem and unable to get it to work properly...

I got my terrain all finished for the most part, and went to start adding objects. I tried to add a bridge, and I'm getting the same error as posted above. I tried the solution of unchecking the clear type option but am still getting the error. I'm not sure why it's tacking on the extra symbols and letters, but it's making it pretty frustrating.  Evil or Very Mad

Any other possible solutions? I tried running the editor in xp compatibility mode as well, but got the same error. I thought maybe it was another goofy privilege problem with Win7, but after changing the settings for the Atari folder, that didn't help either. I'm stumped...
DanthemanBoone
Staff
Map Maker

newzealand.gif

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:08 am Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

With the editor I have set the admin and compatibility on the editor exe itself, not just the dh2005 exe.
also.. forgive me for asking .. did you "apply" changes where available  when altering settings.

Compatibility settings will only work on the exe or shortcut icon that you set. If you open with any other icon that has not been set... the changes will not be recognised for that session.

Old Hunters never die.They just sit around the campfire and tell the biggest lies.

Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Visit RealmDesignz Today
n2spaze1
Map Maker

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:09 am Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

i have no problem with the editor,i have win7
drwhitetail

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 am Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

I'm using Win7 Ultimate if that makes any difference.

I only set the compatibility on the editor.exe, but changed the privileges on the entire Atari folder so that all the files would be read/write. I'm pretty sure I applied the settings, as I was able to go back in to the settings and see the box not checked.

I also tried unchecking the preview box before trying to load the models and that didn't help either. I know I was able to add the sun and background objects about a week ago without any problems, but I'm just trying to add a simple bridge model. I'll play around some more tonight and see if it will load trees and other models. I can provide a screenshot as well, but it won't show much other than the same thing that Lucky mentioned above about the error "it could not find "data\world\models\04 dyn obj\cottonwood[dyn]_c.j3dš¢©"
DanthemanBoone
Staff
Map Maker

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:54 pm Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

I have set the admin and compatibility on both shortcut icons, for the editor and the game, at my desktop.

Provided you are getting the box asking permissions for the changes to be made when you use the shortcut it should be working.

Old Hunters never die.They just sit around the campfire and tell the biggest lies.

Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
drwhitetail

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:25 pm Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

I changed the DH05 icon to run as administrator, and all seems fine now. I'll let you know if it happens again. Thanks!
Visit Detailed Designs Today
drwhitetail

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:38 pm Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

Ok, everything seemed fine, until I made some ground texture changes. I saved my file, created a spk and tried to test it out and got an error that it wouldn't load. So then I tried to load my map in the editor and it wouldn't load there either.

Looking at the log files, it appears that windows tacked on some special characters to one of the paths to one of my ground textures.

[ERROR] Could not parse line "TexLayer[0] = ground, data\world\groundtextures\grass[det]_ga.stxaŠå"...

I tried digging around in my custom level folder thinking I could just delete the weird "aŠå" from the back-end of the texture path. But I'm not sure which file provides the info for the engine to read the textures. Is it possible to do what I'm describing? (If it makes sense to you that is...) I'm praying that I don't have to start from scratch because of the time I've spent on water streams, roads, etc. What file do I need to look for to edit? Thanks!
DanthemanBoone
Staff
Map Maker

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:19 pm Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

Open your game folder ,open the custom level folder,  open the map folder
Find the ter file. ( It may also be named.. level )
It may show as a spk file or a notepad file already
right click on it.. go properties.. open with .. set it to notepad.
close out then  double click the ter file and it will open.

Now you should be able to find the entries for the tex files ,( all listed together 0 to 7) and change it by deleting the extra characters. Make sure you find all entries.

save and close .

try opening in the editor.
If it opens your ok.
If not check the log files again..it may list a new error (it will only ever list the first error it finds.)
go back in and fix it.

As long as the log file is listing a new error you know you are making progress. eventually it should open and you will be away again.

Get registered or Log in
drwhitetail

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:30 pm Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

Awesome! You truly are a life saver Dan!

I was able to edit like 3 or 4 of them that were messed up and all is well again. Thank you!
predator767

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:55 pm Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this! I had this problem and it was driveing me insane!! Mad But thanks to you posting this I finally got it fixed!  Very Happy
Visit DFG-GAMING.COM Today
gas56
Map Maker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 am Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

Since using Windows 7,  I have windows 7 pro....  different versions have different effects on the fonts used from the editor which uses a medium font and is quite an old game..... I found that even with all the things done above like unchecking Clear Type on pro which is under fonts in win 7 pro....not personalization like  for other win 7 operating systems ... having full editing control with security under the program folder itself.....that I still have the font problem conversion in Win 7 pro.....But I was taking care of it through the Dh2005 Map Pofile files by editing it out with notepad as mentioned by Dan........It is a common  problem with Win 7 and some systems may work and may not depending on your fonts compatability.  I have the same problem with 3ds max 5 fonts conversion when converting to a .j3d custom object with collision.  If you run into the problem like I have you can always Edit the Profile Files with notepad after changing the Profile to what you want in the Editor. I've done it so many times it's like second nature to me.  Remember this is an old game and an old editor.....and changing with the times means learning how to manipulate files from these old games.   Everything can be set from within the map files........but that is a whole new can of worms on that subject alone. .......Have a good 1............Gas56 :D

P.S........The Editor is querky at times and checking the game sometimes will not run and when you go back into the editor it will not open the file either.....a quick fix is just run the the editor install again......the editor seems to lose the path files and re-installing it fixes the problem... open the editor and save and wa la... the editor and game works again......you can run a crap cleaner to clean up any old paths but the re-install sets them correct again.  And you can just reboot to save what you've done if afraid of losing it again.........Always Check your Log files first for the problem it could be totally unrelated.
drwhitetail

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:50 pm Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

Not to bring back an old subject, but now I remember why quit mapping and left like 3 half finished maps just sitting on my pc.

I'm having this same problem again, when trying to add a custom object in the editor, it won't let me load the model because windows tacks on a bunch of rubbish to the back of the file name. I've went through everything I can think of again, changing preferences, unchecking the font thing, and nothing works. The editor makes me want to pull my hair out! Evil or Very Mad

I wish we could find a real fix for this. Is there a preferred or best method for copying custom objects and moving them from folder to folder? I'm wondering if that is part of my problem.  :cry:

Actually, I just found out it's happening with trying to add any models at all, whether stock or custom...so I can't add models. Sad
gas56
Map Maker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:05 pm Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and DH2005 Map Editor Reply with quote

You should not have a problem adding models stock or custom, within the editor with Win 7. Save your map files and wipe clean all files related to Dh2005.   Run a Crap Cleaner removing all registry associations.  Unmark clear type on your Fonts.  Restart your computer.  Start with a fresh Install of the DH2005 game? And is it a Disc or Downloaded Version?
Install the Dh2005 1.2 patch.  And if you have an old copy download a new 1 first. This should be a routine precaution on all patches if problems are present.  
install the Dh2005 Hybrid  patch.  Install the Dh2005 final editor 1.1   Restart your computer.
Open your start menu go to Atari...DH2005 Folder...right click ...open properties...security....Edit....allow permissions on group or users you want....checkmark all boxes ... apply
Open your start menu go to Atari...DH2005 Folder.... DH2005 Map editor ICON right click...repeat permissions as line above.
Open Map editor make new map and see if you can put the stock objects into the map.   If it works everything is fine with the editor.  
If it doesn't work.......
1.  1 or more of your patches has been compromised. replace.
2.  The game itself has been compromised. replace.
3.  The editor has been compromised. replace.
4.  You have a virus on your computer and is messing up your registry. Get a registry cleaner.
5.  You do not have all permissions checked for DH005. & Editor.
6.  Make sure you open up the same Editor Icon shortcut every time you use the editor.
7.  The Editor is known to screw up with Win 7.  All Directory files can be fixed within the .Ter file (spk) in your map folder. & Profile files. & Dynamic File. but is a pain in the butt.
8.  None of these problems existed in windows XP.  It's your choice....  An older XP operating system computer to work on maps...probably the best for some.  Or Windows 7
    operating system which you have to compromise sometimes to work on maps.   64 bit to a 32 bit game.   Font problems arise and I don't think Microsoft will go backwards to
    fix an old problem game operating system.

Good Luck and persistence hopefully will show you the way to what you want to know                                                                                       gas56
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view hagadoo.com Forum Index ->  Deer Hunter 2005 Map Making All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: