Search for at
hagadoo.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Topgun Week # 2/BiWeekly # 22 11-5 -11-19 3 pm est -2 pm est DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:57 pm
miriambrenda View latest post
recording and screenshots Info, questions and suggestions for hunts. cowboy 3 Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:08 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post
Biweekly #19 09-24 - 10-08 Results DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm
Vic View latest post
PM's General Talk REZ325 1 Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:17 pm
alot of dh2005 questions Deer Hunter 2005 cowboy 6 Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:33 pm
REZ325 View latest post
Results Topgun Week 1/Biweekly #21 10-22 -11-5 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm
ron4560 View latest post
1st Deer with a Bow Deer Hunter 2005 jummpy123 2 Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:16 pm
Result Hunt Biweekly Hunt # 20 10-08-10-22 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 2 Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:16 pm
ron4560 View latest post

Running Lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    hagadoo.com Forum Index -> Deer Hunter 2005 Map Making
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueSniper

uk.gif

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:10 am Post subject: Running Lights Reply with quote

I am currently running the lights on a map i am making and using Magnums 3 step guide but each step is taking 12 to 13 hours to run, its been a few years since I made one but I cant remember it taking so long, is this normal? or is there an easier way to do it. Confused

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
misty

blank.gif

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:26 am Post subject: Re: Running Lights Reply with quote

It normally takes me 6-14 hours to complete all the lighting on my maps, but I just run the lighting the standard fashion--all at once.  However, I have noticed that it will take longer if I do other things on my computer at the same time.
DanthemanBoone
Staff
Map Maker

newzealand.gif

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:29 am Post subject: Re: Running Lights Reply with quote

Running lights can take all the rescources available on older lower powered computers.
the first computer I built on used to close me out completely for up to 24 hours untill it was done.
You need a good processor and plenty of ram to get it done quickly.
With my current rig I can run lights and play the game at the same time. left alone it usually does the job in about 6 to 8 hrs. I always run all of the light maps, but not always all at once.
The more trees there are in the map the longer it will take.

Did you remember to turn the veiw distance ( frustrum maximum distance) in the editor back to 200.
Leaving it on 2000 will take ten times as long.

The fastest way I know is to set the first six maps and make sure the distance is set at 200, set the process going, minimise the window, disconnect from the net, close everything else down ,then turn of the screen and speakers and go to bed.
Then do the same thing with the rest of the maps the next night.

Old Hunters never die.They just sit around the campfire and tell the biggest lies.

Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jimbo1952

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:46 pm Post subject: Re: Running Lights Reply with quote

Here is the short, short cut. Create a new map and call it something like LIGHT MAP. DO NOT add anything to the map except 1 ground texture like grass. set all your light settings as you normally would (Mags tutorial settings). reflection off, distance 200 and when you go to the light tab leave calculate all frames checked and change number of rays to 8 and click precalculate. it should only take a few minutes to run the lights as there are no objects to slow it down. after it is done save the map for later use. Now when you are ready to run the lights on your map you are working on set everything like you normally would (as I stated above), when you get to the lights tab UNCHECK  calculate all and in the boxes CALCULATE FRAMES enter 6 to 6 (6 is the one that adds shadows under your trees and objects). click precalculate and it should only take about 10-15 minutes to run lights.When it is complete, scroll down and check activate sky, then go back and change everything back to the default settings. (if you have water you should have unchecked use reflections so re check it), recheck render reflections and set view distance back to 2000. SAVE THE MAP. Now go to the light map and copy light maps 1-5 to to your new map and when it ask if you want to over write the files click yes. now go back and copy light maps 7-12 to your new map and follow the same steps. open your new map and create your .spk file and you should have a map complete with lights and shadows. It seems like a lot of work in the beggining but once you create your initial light map you can reuse it. Some maps that don't have a lot of objects will run lights quickly but some won't so if I don't want to wait all night, this is the method I use and trust me you can't see much difference in the finished product.
Visit Evo-File Today
TrueSniper

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:55 pm Post subject: Re: Running Lights Reply with quote

Frustrum set at 100, but also using comp for other things. Rigs about 7-8 years old now and only running 3.4Gigx2 processor and 3.25Gig ram. Maybe its time for an upgrade Laughing  Thanx for the help guys Very Happy

Get registered or Log in
TrueSniper

uk.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:06 pm Post subject: Re: Running Lights Reply with quote

I knew you could swap the light files in the map folder with new ones if you had made a mistake but didnt know u could do it like that, I will give that a try on my next map Jimbo, thanx a lot Very Happy

Get registered or Log in
Jimbo1952

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:11 pm Post subject: Re: Running Lights Reply with quote

I'll trade ya I'm running an E Machine 1.6 gig processor, 2 gigs of ram. so you can see why I take the short cuts. If all you really want is for the trees and objects to have shadows under them, just calculate 6 to 6 and forget get the rest. But if you want sunrise and sunset to look more realistic (time of day) then copy the other files.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view hagadoo.com Forum Index ->  Deer Hunter 2005 Map Making All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: