Search for at
hagadoo.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Topgun #3 /BiWeekly 11-19 - 2:00 pm est. - 12-3 2:00 pm est. DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 pm
ron4560 View latest post
alot of dh2005 questions Deer Hunter 2005 cowboy 7 Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 am
cowboy View latest post
recording and screenshots Info, questions and suggestions for hunts. cowboy 4 Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm
cowboy View latest post
Topgun Week # 2/BiWeekly # 22 11-5 -11-19 3 pm est -2 pm est DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 2 Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:52 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Biweekly #19 09-24 - 10-08 Results DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm
Vic View latest post
PM's General Talk REZ325 1 Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:17 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post
Results Topgun Week 1/Biweekly #21 10-22 -11-5 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm
ron4560 View latest post
1st Deer with a Bow Deer Hunter 2005 jummpy123 2 Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:16 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post

ATTN Win 7 Users!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    hagadoo.com Forum Index -> Questions about computer problems
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
TKSniper
Staff
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:39 pm Post subject: ATTN Win 7 Users!! Reply with quote

The 1st service pack for win 7 has been released. This update has GOT to be the worst POS update MS has ever released!
I have tried to install it TWICE! Both times, It took over 8 hours to download and install! The download is 1GB. Then after it reboots the PC, there is over 300,000 files it needs to apply before Windoze will even try to start! You WILL be lucky if it will apply even 1/2 of the files before it runs into an error and just halt! Your PC most likely will not be able to repair itself by running system restore. I waited 45 minutes before stopping system restore. I had no choice but to break out my install disk to restore my system image backup.

DO NOT, I repeat! DO NOT try to install SP 1!! The installer package is a HUGE NUSANCE!
If you do try to install SP1, I highly recommend you have a back up image ready BEFORE you even attempt it. You WILL need it if the update runs into even one single error.
The 2nd time I ran it, last night the error was further into the process than the 1st attempt.

Be prepared to waste most of a day if you update to SP1 via Windoze update. Rolling Eyes

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

BIG GAME LODGE
RutMaster

usa.gif

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:06 pm Post subject: Re: ATTN Win 7 Users!! Reply with quote

Thanks !!

Get registered or Log in

Joe_Slayer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:08 am Post subject: Re: ATTN Win 7 Users!! Reply with quote

I did it yesterday and it works just fine. I used the Windows Update function, but here's a direct download link.

64 bit: http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/A/F/0AFB5316-3062-494A-AB78-7FB0D4461357/windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe

32 bit: http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/A/F/0AFB5316-3062-494A-AB78-7FB0D4461357/windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe

The 64 bit is 903 MB, the 32 bit is 538 MB

Actually, if you've kept up to date on updating Windows, you really don't need this service pack.
BlueHeron

usa.gif

Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9Reputation: 9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 pm Post subject: Re: ATTN Win 7 Users!! Reply with quote

I concur with Joe_Slayer.  Use the direct download links Joe Slayer provided.  Download and SAVE (don't choose 'Run' or 'Open') the complete SP1 for your OS (64-bit or 32-bit), then install it from that file on your PC.  In general, using Windows Update for small updates is OK, but a ~1GB service pack is enormous.  If the download hangs, you can resume it, but if a Windows Update hangs, there can be problems, particularly if using dial-up or a slow net connection.  I updated 2 PC's today (1 32-bit; 1 64-bit) with no problems using this method.  Took less than 30 minutes.

TK, I'll be glad to help you if there is anything I can do.  Send me a PM if you want.

Get registered or Log in
Visit Evo-Hacks Today
TKSniper
Staff
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:08 pm Post subject: Re: ATTN Win 7 Users!! Reply with quote

If I can download the pack by other means than Win update, I shouldn't have any problems. My problem came from running it from Win update both times I attempted it. Win update ran for 8 hours before it asked me to reboot. Then, having to wait more than an hour more after that just to watch it halt on an error both times pissed me off. The 2nd time, I didn't do anything with my PC to put a load on it. That made me that much more upset.  My connection isn't the greatest, but it's not bad either. 6mbps Rolling Eyes

It's true, you shouldn't need the SP because almost all of it's content is made up of past updates. The Service Packs are supposed to delete the prior updates so the system drive doesn't get overloaded by crap you shouldn't need anymore.

Get registered or Log in

BIG GAME LODGE
TKSniper
Staff
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:36 am Post subject: Re: ATTN Win 7 Users!! Reply with quote

BTW, how long did it take for y'all to do the update? I could download it plenty fast enough, but it's been running since abt 20 mins after my previous post, and seems to be stuck at the half way point atm. I'm gonna stop it before it is done because it is not going like I was anticipating.

I have looked at my update history, and there are a few failures, and some of the repeated attempts to install those updates failed multiple times. I'm planning to get another hard drive next week. I just might have to get one to serve as new system disk instead of extra storage as I originally had intended for it.

I have 15 yrs of PC building and tech experience. This problem appears to be pointing the hard drive.  Rolling Eyes

Get registered or Log in

BIG GAME LODGE
Magnum1973

usa.gif

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:46 am Post subject: Re: ATTN Win 7 Users!! Reply with quote

It must be user error Tk.  I can't imagine microsoft EVER releasing anything that was a POS. Laughing

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
dhunter000

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:35 am Post subject: Re: ATTN Win 7 Users!! Reply with quote

I downloaded the SP1 update from windows update and had no problem with download or install, took 45 minutes total. Like some have said its either a slow internet connection or computer speed processing issues. Maybe even your virus software checking it as its downloading.
There are 2 different downloads, one a lot smaller. If you have updated your pc on a regular basis most of sp1 is not needed.
Dave

Get registered or Log in

I'm hunting Wabbits cause I cant find any Horny Heads!
Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Visit DarkForge Graphics.com Today
TKSniper
Staff
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:01 pm Post subject: Re: ATTN Win 7 Users!! Reply with quote

The only possibility mentioned is my AV not letting it install. I know my connection and PC are both plenty fast enough.
Athlon 6400+ 3.2 Ghtz dual core with 4GB DDR2
download speed is 6mbps

It's the 2nd fastest  Dual core AMD made.

Hey Magnum

Bite me  Razz

Get registered or Log in

BIG GAME LODGE
dhunter000

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:07 pm Post subject: Re: ATTN Win 7 Users!! Reply with quote

TK, your PC sounds to be plenty good enough. I dont know for sure but it sounds like a problem with the AV settings and firewall. Have you done a good registry clean Question  I dont think the hard drive woild be an issue as long as it has enough free space and is not corrupted. Trulight would be a good person to probably answer this question, he is very knowledgeable with issues like this. I myself have built and repaired computers for over 20 years but without gettting in to your PC all I can do is suggest.
Dave

Get registered or Log in

I'm hunting Wabbits cause I cant find any Horny Heads!
Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trulight

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:20 pm Post subject: Re: ATTN Win 7 Users!! Reply with quote

Took me about 20 mins to download and about 3 minutes to install.

Need Photography Work Done, and I'm in your area?
Sam Ives Photography

Get registered or Log in
TKSniper
Staff
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:35 pm Post subject: Re: ATTN Win 7 Users!! Reply with quote

I don't have a 3rd party registry cleaner. I use the one in windows disk clean up abt once a month. I deleted abt 6 GB  of downloads after moving them to another partition. I'm sure there is plenty of space. 57GB free on 160GB partition... Disk C.
The update history that was there before the 1st time I attempted to install, now  only has the updates installed since the back up image was reinstalled. Really, the only thing I have not tried is disabling Trend Micro security.

Get registered or Log in

BIG GAME LODGE
Visit RealmDesignz Today
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view hagadoo.com Forum Index ->  Questions about computer problems All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: