Search for at
hagadoo.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Topgun Week #4/BiWeekly # 24 12-10 12pm est.-12--24 1pm est. DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:35 am
ron4560 View latest post
Balloons in Silly Snake DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:18 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Topgun Week #4/BiWeekly # 24 12-3 -12-17 CANCELLED DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 7 Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:14 am
ron4560 View latest post
Toggun#3/Biweekly #23 11-19-12-3 Results DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:04 am
ron4560 View latest post
1st Deer with a Bow Deer Hunter 2005 jummpy123 3 Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:42 pm
ron4560 View latest post
alot of dh2005 questions Deer Hunter 2005 cowboy 8 Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 pm
ron4560 View latest post
recording and screenshots Info, questions and suggestions for hunts. cowboy 4 Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm
cowboy View latest post
Topgun Week # 2/BiWeekly # 22 11-5 -11-19 3 pm est -2 pm est DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 2 Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:52 pm
ron4560 View latest post

The General Mode at Hagadoo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    hagadoo.com Forum Index -> General Talk
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
REZ325
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Site Admin
Staff

usa.gif

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:10 pm Post subject: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

I've noticed something over the last week and a half at the site. I feel it is generally focused on a recent forum thread where  hunting styles & techniques were talked about.

First let me say this. It has always been my intent (also shared by Magnum) to evolve the site into the next hunting game. We thought it was going to be DHT, but that flopped miserably. The Hunter did not seem to go in the direction that we all hope for, and hunters world seems to be foundering. So we are left with DH2005 Smile

Which brings me to this. There are many different hunting styles & techniques used weekly for our hunts. Depending on who you talk to, depends on what answer you will get, and there feeling about it. Let me review some that I know of;

1. We had a horse riding crew here one time at the site. These two would tag team a map on horse, rounding the deer into one corner of the map, picking the biggest one, then shooting it. These hunters would always place in the top of the pack. This method upset some, some thought it was cheating. The bottom line, is that they won a lot.
2. Hot loading, This is when you find and open area on the map, load into it, spin 360 degree's, if you see a big deer shoot it, it not, escape, & re-load. By virtue of loading the map a thousand times a night, you increase the ratio of big deer you find, eventually you will find the big one that will win it for you for the week. People that use this method, also finish at the top.
3. Hours upon hours of hunting! Some players hunt over 8 hours a day, 7 days a week! Just by raw hunting time, you find more deer, increasing your odds, these players finish near the top regularly.
4. A combination of any and all the above methods.

So what should I do? Some say hunt only on a server. GDL tried that, there numbers very seldom got above ten! What if the server goes down? What if I have a bad internet connection? Who will monitor the server? So many questions, but one thing I know for sure, this is not the answer.

So if I would outlaw one form of hunting it would give another group of people and unfair advantage. Some of us only have a hour or so to hunt a night. Others are retired or have a lot of free time and can hunt as much as they please. Should I restrict the number of hours you can hunt a week? How do I monitor that?

Let us all remember this, it's just a game for fun & entertainment. I want Hagadoo to be a social place for online hunters to come to. I will not be able to please everyone all the time. If we start to bicker amongst ourselves, over time our great site will fall to the way side. We the hunters, must keep this site great and set aside our grievances about other hunting styles & techniques, whether we think it to be fair or not!

For the good of the site and all the work EVERYONE has put into it to make it number 1, think about it. Post your thoughts if you have any.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Last edited by REZ325 on Sun May 02, 2010 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jimbo1952

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:46 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

My thoughts are with yours Ray, it's just a game for fun and relaxation. Sometimes I hunt the sever when I have time, other times I hot load when time is scarce ( I work ), other times I spend hrs. walking the map. But no matter how I hunt or how anyone else hunts do I feel like myself or anyone else is cheating anyone's chances of winning. If one guy is retired and can hunt 10 hrs. a day and someone like myself works and can only hunt a few hrs. a day, that's just the way it goes. And as far as the horse team that would wrangle all the deer into one corner...seems to me that would take some time and talent. I can't hunt worth a crap with bows, shotguns, or muzzle loaders, but we can't have every hunt suited to my strenghts. I say leave it the way it is and lets all have fun.  Smile
REZ325
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Site Admin
Staff

usa.gif

votes: 14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:00 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

Thank you for your input Smile

Get registered or Log in
Vic
Staff

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:26 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

aslong as there is no mod or hack involved you can hunt however you wanna hunt! EACH TO THEIR OWN. like I said in that topic hotloading allows me the chance to win because I can't hunt 14 hours a day 7 days a week and if my hunting style bothers some people here then I don't know what to say to them because I am not gonna stop hunting the way I hunt. Haters are gonna hate and that is just the way it goes.

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/Grrrrlacher
Visit RealmDesignz Today
RutMaster

usa.gif

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:22 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

My preference is to make the hunt as realistic as possible.....I hunt the whole map, sometimes I'll scout and sit in a stand or sometimes I will walk the map. Some may say that's a hard tactic when competing in the weekly hunts and it for sure doesn't help my chances of winning and it may not (never won but when I was hunting on a regular basis I was placing in the top 5 usually). I don't necessarily think any other tactic is cheating, but some will give you an advantage. I just like the feeling of knowing when I knock down the big one I hunted for it!! Happy Hunting!!!

Get registered or Log in

DanthemanBoone
Staff
Map Maker

newzealand.gif

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:39 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

The problem has arisen from the Fiercely competitive nature of some of our top Hunters. For the Majority of us it is ONLY A GAME. but for some it would appear that winning is the priority in their life. In all areas of acheivement  there are people who are dedicated to being number one and to the glory and accolades that come with the position. Sad but True. That is what it takes to be a top acheiver.

Send them off to another room to play by themselves, separate the legend from the weekly hunts and make all would be legend participants enter the Pre legend Hunts on the basis that their weekly scores only count towards legend qualification.
Past legend winners may only hunt the legend and weekly winners who acheive a set number of weekly wins become Wild cards and are moved to legend competition.

This probably wont stop them fighting but at least the weekend hunters can play in peace. and if they feel they are up to it and want to join the big Boys, they can  join the legend at their own risk.

I would not want to see any of our top hunters leave our site. They are part of what makes it so great and I love them all.

Old Hunters never die.They just sit around the campfire and tell the biggest lies.

Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KyBuckmaster

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:11 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

All I can say it just a game and it should be for fun and to get on TS and have fun with members and try to help someone if you can. I know you like to win. But its not all about winning it in the sportmenship with your team mates.

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Lucky
Map Maker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:24 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

This is the Most popular and only site that still does weekly tournaments. If you want to play in the weekly ones
just play however you would like to play , compete , win, lose or draw.
It is a choice you have to make.  You can make it an enjoyable experience or a miserable one.  your choice.
If you choose to hunt a certain mode , way, or not depends on how much enjoyment you want.

If you choose to complain about others hunting methods then please do it out of the forums as it has no place there.

My personal opinion and it is just that.   "Is that no one who plays this game (without a cheat or modification) has any due
advantage over anyone else".  I have played with all kinds of hunters and all kinds of methods and have come up
a winner many times.  against all methods of play and against all kinds of players. It is just takes a little effort
and commitment.

If a player uses a certain method and it works for his enjoyment( and it is not cheating) let him play

If a player wants to use another method and it works for him ( and it is not cheating), let him play

How I play or win or lose is not as important to me as my own enjoyment.  I have played this game for almost 5 years now
and I still find it enjoyable.  I have competed and won and lost and still had fun.  I have held Grand Champion Status
and placed last in a contest, I still enjoyed the competition.

This game is still the most played Deer Hunting simulator out there and this site still holds it all together.

I applaude   the staff of this site in their determination to make it the best experience possible for all members.

Don't change anything and keep up your good work.

Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in
Visit Evo-Install Today
ron4560
Site Owner
Legend
Past Legend

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:18 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

Heres my 2 cents even though I already know nobody really gives a cr@P!!!
While it is just a game we are here for the competion, not a whole lot of fun to hunt without it after 5 years,
Here you get to see just how good your LUCK is against the best no matter how they hunt cause nobody on this sight hunts alike !
Myself came here looking for maps but I found something much more (never hunted online , too shy , can't type )
Then Rez caught me one night on his server (Under a different name cause of the shyness) and had the patience to teach a guy
who never really knew how or what the game was about beyond single player! Then came team speak and once again Rez talk me thur
the motions to get on(Was scared to dead the first time I pushed the talk button) and thats when DH2005 got Fun again!!!!
Now I had an Old game with new life cause of the Virtual friends I found on TS and while we may not agree on everything in the game or
how so & so hunts its still nice to know my FRIENDS are there to talk to !!!!!!!!!
And as most of you know I won the Winter Legend , Not because of any of the above JUST PURE LUCK  and a few hours a day!!!!!!!
Yes I would like to win it again but it really doesn't matter cause I now have Buddys all around the World!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get registered or Log in
(SWE)SHFila4

sweden.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:36 am Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

Jimbo1952 @ Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm wrote:
My thoughts are with yours Ray, it's just a game for fun and relaxation. Sometimes I hunt the sever when I have time, other times I hot load when time is scarce ( I work ), other times I spend hrs. walking the map. But no matter how I hunt or how anyone else hunts do I feel like myself or anyone else is cheating anyone's chances of winning. If one guy is retired and can hunt 10 hrs. a day and someone like myself works and can only hunt a few hrs. a day, that's just the way it goes. And as far as the horse team that would wrangle all the deer into one corner...seems to me that would take some time and talent. I can't hunt worth a crap with bows, shotguns, or muzzle loaders, but we can't have every hunt suited to my strenghts. I say leave it the way it is and lets all have fun.  Smile

Yes i am retired,but i dont hunt more then 1-2 hrs a day Wink

Ps. Don't change anything and keep up your good work.

Get registered or Log in
trulight

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:28 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

Personally like Ray says everyone has a form of hunting that they use.  Fine, let's keep it that way, but let's make some changes to the way we approach the weekly hunts.  The few things that I noticed to change, would affect everyone, and not a specific group.

1.) Bring back the view distances on the hunts.  Right now a lot of the maps are out 300-600 meters.  (Sorry dan LOL)  By doing this it would allow us to:
2.) Raise ground object quality for some of the lower end computers  On high ground objects you get the full effect of the map, and it puts more obstructions for everyone
not just a specific group.
3.) Let's get some thicker maps going, a lot of the stuff we hunt has tons of open areas.  When was the last time we played a thick map?  I'm not saying do this all the time.
but every now and then throw a curve ball, or a difficult map.
4.) Multi-Species hunts of 3 or more species.  Makes it a little more difficult to get all 3 or more big ones.
5.) ROE HUNTS (Yes i know we hate em) but it's part of the game.

That's about all I can think of, and the changes i've mentioned effect everyone, not a specific style.  Most of all I refer to the ground objects because the map makers we
have spend a LOT of their time designing the maps we use, and a lot of that quality never gets seen, because ground objects are on low.  So all the dynamics disappear.

-Sam
Magnum1973

usa.gif

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:58 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

I made a post on the old site about this a long time ago.  This is more then just a game.  Now the disk itself might just contain a game but it is larger then that.  Think of the friendships that have been created, the people whose day you might have brightened by helping them or making a certain type of map that they like.

Now then it comes to the tournaments.  I personally don't care how people get their deer, as long as it is within the rules of the game and the site.  There were sometimes that I didn't like a particular map or didn't have enough time and I would reload.  Sometimes I would use the horse method.  Heck I remember a few times going on Bob's (hadagoo) server and two people would set up north and the rest of the people would get on their horses and drive the deer towards them.  It was a blast and everyone got their chance to sit in the stand.  Sometimes there are maps that I really enjoy the scenery and I will walk the map just to relax and enjoy it.

I definitely thing the maps should stay 300 - 500 gaps.  This benefits all that play the map. Whether it you have lots or little time, you will be able to find the deer, compared to a 100 gap map.

Hunting tournaments online really isn't and option.  Some don't like to play online or don't always have access to the internet and like Ray said, "who would monitor it".

Adding more ground objects is always and option but you can always turn that off and you also to remember the people with the low end computers.  Not everyone has a supercomputer like Ron, Vic or Ray. Laughing

Years ago Bob and myself talked about this in great depth.  Prety much what we came up with is hunt the way you want and don't worry about others.  If you think a player has an advantage with the way they hunt, then hunt the way they do.  Just remember in the end, the tournaments are just friendly competitions.  Life is to short and their is much more to be gained DH2005 and anger and frustration.

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Visit Evo-Install Today
DeerKillers

italy.gif

votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:00 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

I agree with what you all said Smile
Friendship competition, and fun is the key.

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Vic
Staff

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:59 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

Magnum1973 @ Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:58 pm wrote:
I made a post on the old site about this a long time ago.  This is more then just a game.  Now the disk itself might just contain a game but it is larger then that.  Think of the friendships that have been created, the people whose day you might have brightened by helping them or making a certain type of map that they like.

Now then it comes to the tournaments.  I personally don't care how people get their deer, as long as it is within the rules of the game and the site.  There were sometimes that I didn't like a particular map or didn't have enough time and I would reload.  Sometimes I would use the horse method.  Heck I remember a few times going on Bob's (hadagoo) server and two people would set up north and the rest of the people would get on their horses and drive the deer towards them.  It was a blast and everyone got their chance to sit in the stand.  Sometimes there are maps that I really enjoy the scenery and I will walk the map just to relax and enjoy it.

I definitely thing the maps should stay 300 - 500 gaps.  This benefits all that play the map. Whether it you have lots or little time, you will be able to find the deer, compared to a 100 gap map.

Hunting tournaments online really isn't and option.  Some don't like to play online or don't always have access to the internet and like Ray said, "who would monitor it".

Adding more ground objects is always and option but you can always turn that off and you also to remember the people with the low end computers.  Not everyone has a supercomputer like Ron, Vic or Ray. Laughing

Years ago Bob and myself talked about this in great depth.  Prety much what we came up with is hunt the way you want and don't worry about others.  [b]If you think a player has an advantage with the way they hunt, then hunt the way they do.
 Just remember in the end, the tournaments are just friendly competitions.  Life is to short and their is much more to be gained DH2005 and anger and frustration.
[/b]

Well said!!!

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/Grrrrlacher
trulight

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:22 pm Post subject: Re: The General Mode at Hagadoo Reply with quote

The ground objects shows up in the DHT file magnum, but i'm sure you knew that.  I actually sat down with dan, and it is possible to create super thick maps, and run them on ultra ground objects and still have the low end computers pull 30 frames, it's about how it's designed.  In fact in this test case the map was twice the size of a standard map 5km across instead of 2km of a 100 gap map.  Had a 600m view distance, and would run on ultra ground objects.

Just some info Smile
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view hagadoo.com Forum Index ->  General Talk All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: