Re-installing
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

hagadoo.com -> General Talk

#1: Re-installing Author: drwhitetailLocation: Land of 10,000 Lakes PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:23 pm
    —
I reinstalled DH05 on my new install of Win10 and patched it using the 1.2 patch from here. I've set it to run in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode and also to run as administrator. When I click on the application to launch it, I get the spinning blue circle and then nothing. The game isn't launching at all.

I can't remember if there's something special I need to do or.... Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks! Very Happy

#2: Re: Re-installing Author: DanthemanBooneLocation: Rotorua New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:36 am
    —
You may have to download a cd/dvd player (software) off the net as some win 10 versions do not have the cd/dvd player software as part of the operating system.
The VLC Media player by video lan is a good option.
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

A lot of new win 10 computers no longer even have a dvd player. Most modern games are now web based and movies are rented and watched online. CDs and DVDs are obsolete for most new computers.
The reason I loaded the game to a flash drive for my grandson ... is because his win10 computer does not have a Cd/Dvd player.

Did you install directly from the win 10 OS system or did you use another OS and direct it to your win 10 hard drive during the install.

Did you use a cd for the install or a download version from the net.

I suspect that your win 10 OS is not seeing your CD/DVD player.
You could try going to 'My computer" from the win 10 OS and see if the dvd player is showing, if it is try opening the files and starting the game from the dh2005 exe on the cd.

#3: Re: Re-installing Author: drwhitetailLocation: Land of 10,000 Lakes PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:51 am
    —
I wiped my drive and did a clean install of Win10. My win7 was corrupted and was giving me a lot of headaches. I backed up my profile and my custom maps and maps I was working on as well as the editor and I still had the installer from when I bought the game initially.

I'm still using my custom PC that I built a few years ago which has a dvd rom drive but I'm using the downloaded installer version. I may have to boot into my XP drive and just copy the game to a drive and then bring it over. Not sure what else to do. Mad

#4: Re: Re-installing Author: Jimbo1952Location: Oregon PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:18 pm
    —
Everything I have on my computer is set to run on XP so I figured don't fix it if it's not broken.

#5: Re: Re-installing Author: drwhitetailLocation: Land of 10,000 Lakes PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:00 pm
    —
So I found my cd copy of DH05. I've installed, updated, and added the patch. I load up the game and everything is there except the "Hunt" button in the bottom right corner. Any ideas? Thanks! Mad

#6: Re: Re-installing Author: drwhitetailLocation: Land of 10,000 Lakes PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:29 pm
    —
Hmm....thought maybe one of you DH05 veterans would have seen this bug and have an easy fix? Nobody has had the hunt button missing?

Sad

#7: Re: Re-installing Author: drwhitetailLocation: Land of 10,000 Lakes PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:31 pm
    —
Nevermind, figured out that I needed the .iso or the CD in the drive for the hunt button to show up. Now to get the map editor up and running again...

Wish there was a way to re-do all the textures and upgrade the meshes of this game and still have it run decent. I love the simplicity of the game and the free roaming. "The Hunter" seemed way over the top and just didn't have the feel this old game does. I'm assuming the Aspen engine wouldn't be able to handle higher res meshes and textures though. Just thinking out loud and replying to my own posts....  Laughing

#8: Re: Re-installing Author: REZ325Location: Harrisburg, PA PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 pm
    —
drwhitetail @ Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:31 pm wrote:
I'm assuming the Aspen engine wouldn't be able to handle higher res meshes and textures though. Just thinking out loud and replying to my own posts....  Laughing

There are a lot of map makers still hanging around that might chime in on that issue. I know Dan does alot of work and testing on that subject so as not to us up a lot of FPS in game when playing. He might be able to give you better guidance & info on that subject.
Have Fun!

#9: Re: Re-installing Author: DanthemanBooneLocation: Rotorua New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:56 pm
    —
Actually I think Jimbo would be more familiar with the limits of resolutions for custom objects and graphics than Me.

I only manipulate the render distances in relation to the number of objects, both dynamic and static in order to get the best frame speeds I can.
The limit on custom objects is tied to the amount of detail ( Polygon count ) in the j3d model but the graphic files themselves seem to have little effect on the outcome when using models without Mip maps.
That being said the distance settings for static objects and when the low res mips take over is not adjustable in game but must be set when making the models.
However with dynamic objects there is no difference in frame speeds whether you set the full opacity to min or max distances.

As far as textures go, I can take any grass rock or dirt texture from google images, resize them and apply them as jpg or png files and they will work.
The game uses stx files for objects that move, such as grass, water or trees, and they are basically gifs saved in a video format.

I have a huge library of ground textures, some that came from Semi originally and many more I have collected over the years. Anyone who might like them is welcome to contact me and I will arrange to send them.

#10: Re: Re-installing Author: Jimbo1952Location: Oregon PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:25 pm
    —
Dan is right about texture, I can make the same model using different textures and the end result is the same as far as file size. If a vehicle model is 2.0 MB no matter what texture I apply it will remain 2.00 MB after exporting from 3DSMAX. It doesn't matter what size the texture file is (JPG,PNG,ETC). As far as I know different ground, water or object textures do not lower or raise FPS in game play that I have ever seen. I have recently started making my own water files to be used for making large bodies of water, instead of adding water streams I can make a lake and use a custom texture so as not to be limited to the 4 or 5 that are in the editor.

hagadoo.com -> General Talk

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Page 1 of 1