Search for at
hagadoo.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Topgun #3 /BiWeekly 11-19 - 2:00 pm est. - 12-3 2:00 pm est. DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 pm
ron4560 View latest post
alot of dh2005 questions Deer Hunter 2005 cowboy 7 Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 am
cowboy View latest post
recording and screenshots Info, questions and suggestions for hunts. cowboy 4 Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm
cowboy View latest post
Topgun Week # 2/BiWeekly # 22 11-5 -11-19 3 pm est -2 pm est DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 2 Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:52 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Biweekly #19 09-24 - 10-08 Results DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm
Vic View latest post
PM's General Talk REZ325 1 Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:17 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post
Results Topgun Week 1/Biweekly #21 10-22 -11-5 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm
ron4560 View latest post
1st Deer with a Bow Deer Hunter 2005 jummpy123 2 Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:16 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post

Video cards & old computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    hagadoo.com Forum Index -> Questions about computer problems
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Mule

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 pm Post subject: Video cards & old computer Reply with quote

At the moment I have an ATI 9200 128mb PCI card.
My 5 yr old computer has a Celeron (R) 2.53Ghz processor & 1.24Ghz of RAM.
I'd like to go to a 512mb card but I'd need a 300 watt power supply to run it.
Mine is only 250 watts. I can swing a new card but not a new power supply also.
Would a 256mb card make much difference?
I'd really like a new multicore tower but I don't have the funds right now.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
Vic
Staff

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:37 pm Post subject: Re: Video cards & old computer Reply with quote

Tonight I just put in a geforce 240gt superoverclocked card and it does not need a 6 pin powersupply but it does need atleast a 300 watt ps and it runs the game great on ultra
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/Grrrrlacher
REZ325
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Site Admin
Staff

usa.gif

votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:43 pm Post subject: Re: Video cards & old computer Reply with quote

I know you are on a budget as all of us are, but save & buy new. Upgrading your video card with the current system you have is like putting a piece of bubble gum over a hole in the damn. Today for 500 dollars your can get a dual core system with a nice video card and out do anything you are trying to make better currently Smile

Get registered or Log in
Mr_Mule

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:01 pm Post subject: Re: Video cards & old computer Reply with quote

I think I'll do that Rez.
I can run DH05 with most settings on ultra anyway.
It's the online hunting games that won't run on this dinosaur.

Get registered or Log in
Visit Nuke Evolution Today
TKSniper
Staff
Site Admin

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:48 pm Post subject: Re: Video cards & old computer Reply with quote

To answer the question about the difference between 128MB and 256MB, You wouldn't see alot of difference. That PC is so old now, you would be better off saving your pennies up for newer PC. Like Rez said, you can get a somewhat decent dual core PC. Even a dual core made to be an office machine can play DH 05 on ultra... The grfx tech has come a long ways and the prices are low on the outdated stuff.

Get registered or Log in

BIG GAME LODGE
Mr_Mule

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:11 pm Post subject: Re: Video cards & old computer Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!!
I guess gettin' a new card would be kind'a like paintin' over dirt. lol
I'll just have to be patient........

Get registered or Log in
BG

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 am Post subject: Re: Video cards & old computer Reply with quote

sorry im a little late...but your best option is to buy parts and build a new pc yourself...i built a quadcore with 4 gb ram..1 tb hd...and a nice SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card for about 500 dollars, also i have a 680W power supply for less than 50 bucks from there and it runs amazingly! building a system yourself is the way to go...check some prices at www.newegg.com
Magnum1973

usa.gif

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:15 am Post subject: Re: Video cards & old computer Reply with quote

Saving up and building a new one is probably the best option.  Like BG I built mine with parts from Newegg.com  There is also another place I found that is always running good deals on machines that are already built.  Check it out.  http://www.geeks.com/

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
Visit RealmDesignz Today
Jimbo1952

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:05 am Post subject: Re: Video cards & old computer Reply with quote

www.tigerdirect.com  is another good place to go. I've bought a lot of upgrades thru them, they always have some kind of specials going on.
hitman

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:45 pm Post subject: Re: Video cards & old computer Reply with quote

Or you could go my route...thought most here would probly FROWN upon it....I used to have a IBM T42 Laptop that would play just about anything I threw at it aside from games that required "Pixel Shaders" I thought my IBM was the cream of the crop getting 45fps on deerhunter on medium settings....well my trusty old laptop decieded to die on me this last thanksgiving after 6 or 7yrs(not bad only paying $70bucks for it brand new at a pawn shop still in the box)

Well I though I would take a break from computers for a little bit while I save up to get a new I7 desktop or a really nice laptop....thinking these new systems that use Windows Vista and 7 need to have alittle leway when it comes to playing games...corse Win7 is a HUGE improvment over Vista but I alway find myself coming back to Xp...it just works

Granted I am not a HUGE gamer but the route I went I never would of though I was going to do....I bought that $199 Acer Aspire Revo 1600 from bestbuy and boy let me tell you HUGE improvment over my IBM...I am not kidding when I say I can play DH2005 on max settings never dropping below 35fps...no thats not alot to some of you but if your like me thats all I require...and as I should mention my brother In law has a Quad Core system and DH2005 on max only gets 40fps on his so I dont think Im doing bad at all compared to his $1000 desktop.....left me more money to go and enjoy myself LOL

Also I even tryed that game "The Hunter" on max setting and it seems fine..I dont know that FPS on it but I see no lag/gitter at all.

I guess my point is....even the cheapest computers made today can run better than the best computers of yesterday, corse I am by no means telling you to go buy what you think is junk....Im just saying for some of us "the best" isnt "the best" when it comes to spending money LOL.
BG

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:43 pm Post subject: Re: Video cards & old computer Reply with quote

well thats what i originally did...bought a compaq presario for 200 at walmart...then decided i needed better, cuz i used to play some mmos that it didnt handle well...so i completely rebuilt the system for a few hundred dollars and now it will run anything with no problems...windows 7 64 bit is the best OS ive ever seen for me its been flawless and super easy to use...i agree tho if your on a budget and just need simple pc cheap one from best buy or walmart will work fine..but keep in mind you can build top of the line best computers yourself for 500-600 dollars max...alot cheaper than paying the 1000-1200 for one in the stores!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view hagadoo.com Forum Index ->  Questions about computer problems All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: