Search for at
hagadoo.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Topgun Week #4/BiWeekly # 24 12-10 12pm est.-12--24 1pm est. DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:35 am
ron4560 View latest post
Topgun Week #4/BiWeekly # 24 12-3 -12-17 CANCELLED DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 8 Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:58 pm
Jimbo1952 View latest post
Balloons in Silly Snake DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:16 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post
Toggun#3/Biweekly #23 11-19-12-3 Results DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:04 am
ron4560 View latest post
1st Deer with a Bow Deer Hunter 2005 jummpy123 3 Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:42 pm
ron4560 View latest post
alot of dh2005 questions Deer Hunter 2005 cowboy 8 Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 pm
ron4560 View latest post
recording and screenshots Info, questions and suggestions for hunts. cowboy 4 Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm
cowboy View latest post
Topgun Week # 2/BiWeekly # 22 11-5 -11-19 3 pm est -2 pm est DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 2 Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:52 pm
ron4560 View latest post

CUTTING OSB

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    hagadoo.com Forum Index -> General Talk
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLACKBART

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:40 am Post subject: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE BEST BLADE FOR CUTTING "OSB" BOARD WOULD BE WITH A CIRCULAR SAW? I GOOGLED THIS AND THE ONLY THING I COULD FIND WAS TO USE A DIAMOND SAW BLADE BUT WHEN I SEARCHED DIAMOND SAW BLADES IT SEEMS THOSE ARE FOR TILE AND I DON'T WANT TO SPEND $50 ON A SAW BLADE. I AM NOT GOING TO MAKE A CAREER OUT OF THIS I JUST NEED TO CUT A FEW BOARDS BUT I KNOW FROM PAST EXPERIENCE IT CAN BE DIFFICULT TO CUT, THE BLADE WANTS TO WANDER AND BUCK. SO ANY SUGGESTIONS HERE WILL BE APPRECIATED.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
yankee

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:30 am Post subject: Re: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

The diamond blades are all i ever use, they cut like no other and last a long time.

however osb you really don't need anything special, you could use a regular dewalt saw blade.
REZ325
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Site Admin
Staff

usa.gif

votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:44 am Post subject: Re: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

Dennis, go to Home Depot or Lowes, and buy a 24 tooth carbide tipped ripping blade. They should cost anywhere between 7 to 15 dollars depending on the name brand. You do not need a diamond blade! Pratice your cutting to prevent the wondering syndrome, and support your cut to prevent bucking or kick back. That is caused due to blade bind.

Get registered or Log in
BLACKBART

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:49 pm Post subject: Re: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

I DON'T HAVE TROUBLE WITH CONVENTIONAL PLYWOOD, AS FAR AS WONDERING OR BUCKING, ONLY OSB. I THOUGHT MAYBE BECAUSE OF ALL THE GLUE AND RANDOM PATTERN OF WOOD CHIPS THAT THAT WAS THE CAUSE. WE HAVE CUT STEEL PANELS (POLE BARN) BY TURNING THE BLADE AROUND BACKWARDS. I KNOW THAT SOUNDS STUPID BUT IT WORKED. I WILL TRY THE 24 TOOTH CARBIDE BLADE. I THINK SETTING THE DEPTH OF THE BLADE TO JUST GO THRU THE BOARD MIGHT HELP AS WELL. THANKS. I JUST CHECKED LOWES AND THAT BLADE COST $5.97

Get registered or Log in
Visit Evo-Hacks Today
Magnum1973

usa.gif

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:16 pm Post subject: Re: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

If you put some good support under it and set it so only the blade goes through, you shouldn't have anymore problems.  I know guys who used to turn their blades around to cut vinyl siding that way.

Get registered or Log in

Get registered or Log in
gas56
Map Maker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:50 pm Post subject: Re: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

Smile  Anytime u need to make fine cuts without ripping the heck out of thin wood use a fine tooth blade and use a guide so the saw will stay in place.  support the wood from underneith and set the saw blade a 1/4"
past the thickness of the wood. if u r having problems staying on the line, clamp a 2x4 at each end with wood clamps or c-clamps along the line you make and run ur circular saw along it if u don't have long guides.   U can pick up a fine toothed blade that wont break ur wallet at most hardware stores.
BLACKBART

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:36 am Post subject: Re: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

AS I PREVIOUSLY STATED, I THINK THE PROBLEM IS THE RANDOM PATTERN OF WOOD STRANDS IN OSB CAUSE THE SAW TO WANT TO WANDER AND WHEN I TRY TO CORRECT BY FORCING THE SAW TO GO STRAIGHT IT STARTS TO BIND AND BUCK. I WILL TRY THE CARBIDE 24 TOOTH RIPPING BLADE SET JUST TO GO THRU THE WOOD AND THAT SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM.
THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS! Smile

Get registered or Log in
gas56
Map Maker

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:20 am Post subject: Re: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

Very Happy  I was just curious how ur Carbide tipped blade worked for OSB.   I've always used a fine tooth blade (128 teeth or more) for cutting it off hand as a rough framer about 25 years ago. I used to use carbide tipped blades for cutting metal and hardwoods cuz they held there sharpness longer, though even in the steel mills we would cut poured hot steel bars with 35 inch regular circular blades.  I was a machinist in the tool and die trade but changed jobs in the early 90's to a steel mill, then retired after hitting a deer on my motorcycle in 2004. Now I'm on Disability for a breathing and heart problem, but wish I could do the things I used to be able to do,  Like going bowhunting on saturday after work  for an hour before dark cuz I just worked 72 hours that week. Or going on early morning hunts after a Mid-night shift during the deer-gun season. Dozing off against a tree in twenty-degree weather, waking up half frozen.  Ha Ha,    Very Happy   Or getting out of the Navy after a 6 year hitch as a Naval Aircrewman in 1984 touring the Pacific and Indian Ocean and the Gulf. What I missed was Deer Hunting back home and it didn't take me long to start again after that! Oh well I could ramble on and on but that blade question was interesting and sometimes A change of pace is good!  OF course I woke up this morning at 5 am and sealed my kitchen sink, but if I could I would b out there with my gun cuz the deer gun season just came back in here (ohio) for 2 days only, starting today! Maybe I'll go sit on my back porch!                                                                                Good Luck,  GAS
Visit Evo-Install Today
BLACKBART

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:18 pm Post subject: Re: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

I WILL LET YOU KNOW.

Get registered or Log in
REZ325
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Site Admin
Staff

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:23 pm Post subject: Re: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

The  carbide tipped blade is standard with in the construction community here in Central PA, probably as well as across the country. They last longer and are more versatile. They can rip as well as crosscut. One reason we don't use 120 pt blades anymore is for this reason. Yes they make a nice cut for plywood, OSB, luanne, ect... but if you have to cut a 2x, then you have to change the blade, thus creating a work stoppage. Everything revolves around time today, time is money! You can't make any money changing blades every 10 minutes Smile

Get registered or Log in
BLACKBART

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:47 pm Post subject: Re: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

SO IRRESPECTIVE OF THE TIME ISSUE, IS IT YOUR OPINION THAT THE 128 TOOTH BLADE WILL CUT OSB EASIER THAN THE 24 TOOTH CARBIDE, OR ARE WE SPLITTING HAIRS. SINCE THIS IS JUST A BACKYARD PROJECT, I DON'T MIND TAKING THE TIME TO CHANGE BLADES, I JUST WANT WHICHEVER IS GOING TO WORK EASIEST.

Get registered or Log in
REZ325
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Site Admin
Staff

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:12 pm Post subject: Re: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

BLACKBART @ Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:47 pm wrote:
SO IRRESPECTIVE OF THE TIME ISSUE, IS IT YOUR OPINION THAT THE 128 TOOTH BLADE WILL CUT OSB EASIER THAN THE 24 TOOTH CARBIDE, OR ARE WE SPLITTING HAIRS. SINCE THIS IS JUST A BACKYARD PROJECT, I DON'T MIND TAKING THE TIME TO CHANGE BLADES, I JUST WANT WHICHEVER IS GOING TO WORK EASIEST.

No, a 120pt blade makes a finer, cleaner cut, that is all. A 40 tooth carbide tipped blade will do the same but costs more Smile

Get registered or Log in
Visit Evo-File Today
BLACKBART

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:54 pm Post subject: Re: CUTTING OSB Reply with quote

AT $6.00 IT SOUNDS LIKE THE CARBIDE BLADE IS THE WAY TO GO.
THANKS

Get registered or Log in
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view hagadoo.com Forum Index ->  General Talk All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: