Search for at
hagadoo.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Topgun #3 /BiWeekly 11-19 - 2:00 pm est. - 12-3 2:00 pm est. DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 pm
ron4560 View latest post
alot of dh2005 questions Deer Hunter 2005 cowboy 7 Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 am
cowboy View latest post
recording and screenshots Info, questions and suggestions for hunts. cowboy 4 Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm
cowboy View latest post
Topgun Week # 2/BiWeekly # 22 11-5 -11-19 3 pm est -2 pm est DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 2 Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:52 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Biweekly #19 09-24 - 10-08 Results DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm
Vic View latest post
PM's General Talk REZ325 1 Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:17 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post
Results Topgun Week 1/Biweekly #21 10-22 -11-5 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm
ron4560 View latest post
1st Deer with a Bow Deer Hunter 2005 jummpy123 2 Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:16 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post

Creating topography

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    hagadoo.com Forum Index -> Deer Hunter 2005 Map Making
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTWood

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:30 pm Post subject: Creating topography Reply with quote

Hi all.  I have a question about developing a map, and it relates to setting the topography.  It would appear that it is affected by World Height and Fractal settings, but doe texture also come into play?

I t is my understanding that it would be best to set the topography I want first, then apply the textures to the topo by "painting?" them on.  Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks for the help!
DanthemanBoone
Staff
Map Maker

newzealand.gif

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:27 pm Post subject: Re: Creating topography Reply with quote

Three ways you can form the topograhy

I. use the random selection method outlined in the Editor tutorial and Magnums Tutorial in the 2005 mapmaking section of the forum archives.

2. Make a topo map using either a real world or fictitious location. save your map as a 640 X 640 grayscale png and add the file to your map folder then navigate to it with the surface editor tool , load it and apply.

3. Start with a flat map and either work with that or raise the hills and mountains by hand using the brush mode in the surface editor.

Once the topography is done you may still change the world height by changing the W/H numbers to give greater or smaller elevation to the map.

Then apply your ground textures either manually (Painting) using the brush or by placing the textures automatically using the elevation constaint settings.
Textures have no relevance to your topo or world height settings.But if you place textures automatically the world height setting become relevant to texture placement.
Roads and Rail lines are done by hand using the texture brush. On a flat map, river bed textures can be placed automatically, but a river bed falling through several heights has to be done by hand..

Texture maps ( Bit maps ) can also be made and loaded to the txture placing tool

Then finally apply the objects, some done automatically and some by hand. Then apply the undertree textures using the object paint tool.

Bit maps can also be used for placing objects on the map with the auto object creator.

Have fun.
But....
Be warned Even on a good day the Editor is (As Magnum describes it) about as stable as Nancy Pelosi.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Old Hunters never die.They just sit around the campfire and tell the biggest lies.

Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RandyTWood

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:18 pm Post subject: Re: Creating topography Reply with quote

LOL!  Love that bit on the old bitty!

Thank you very much, Dan.  This is the best description of the process I have seen here.  I appreciate the guidance.  IUf I can come up with something half-way decent, I will submot it since I have so many of your maps it seems only fair.

Tahnks again!
RandyTWood

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:22 pm Post subject: Re: Creating topography Reply with quote

Hi Dan

Sorry to bother you again, but I have run through the tutorial and searched the forums, and I still cannot figure out how to load my .PNG file into the editor to create the terrain.  Can you help me with that step?

In step 2 you stated: "navigate to it with the surface editor tool"

I am not sure how to do this.

Thanks for any help you can spare!
Visit DarkForge Graphics.com Today
DanthemanBoone
Staff
Map Maker

newzealand.gif

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:43 pm Post subject: Re: Creating topography Reply with quote

Check out these links.

http://www.hagadoo.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=607

http://www.hagadoo.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1528

Another thing to do is to blur the greyscale image in the focus tool section of a photoeditor.
That will prevent a terracing effect in the topography that the smooth slider in the editor is not always able to cope with

Old Hunters never die.They just sit around the campfire and tell the biggest lies.

Get registered or Log in

Last edited by DanthemanBoone on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lucky
Map Maker

usa.gif

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:48 pm Post subject: Re: Creating topography Reply with quote

To load a bitmap go to terrain surface editor
click on the down arrow in fractal underneath the noise where it says Fractal
and scroll up to select bitmap in the window
then go to the filename and click on the button with 3 dots
a window will open with explorer , navigate to your .png file
and select it

if the file is a grey scale bitmap 640 X 640 pixels, it will show up in the fractal edit window
then simply hit apply

Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in
RandyTWood

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:12 pm Post subject: Re: Creating topography Reply with quote

Thank you Dan and Lucky!  I will try this later.  Your help is very appreciated!
RandyTWood

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: Creating topography Reply with quote

Thanks guys.....this worked like a charm!  I just created a screen shot from a topo map of th eland I learned to hunt deer on, cropped it to size, savedit as a .PNG, painted it, saved it in greyscale, and popped it right into the editor without an issue.  I created a level profile and ran it in the game, and it felt like I was wlaking it in real life.

Now the textures are what's next.  Thanks again for all your help!
Visit Evo-Install Today
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view hagadoo.com Forum Index ->  Deer Hunter 2005 Map Making All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: