Search for at
hagadoo.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Topgun #3 /BiWeekly 11-19 - 2:00 pm est. - 12-3 2:00 pm est. DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 pm
ron4560 View latest post
recording and screenshots Info, questions and suggestions for hunts. cowboy 4 Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm
cowboy View latest post
Topgun Week # 2/BiWeekly # 22 11-5 -11-19 3 pm est -2 pm est DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 2 Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:52 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Biweekly #19 09-24 - 10-08 Results DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm
Vic View latest post
PM's General Talk REZ325 1 Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:17 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post
alot of dh2005 questions Deer Hunter 2005 cowboy 6 Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:33 pm
REZ325 View latest post
Results Topgun Week 1/Biweekly #21 10-22 -11-5 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm
ron4560 View latest post
1st Deer with a Bow Deer Hunter 2005 jummpy123 2 Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:16 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post

Ground Textures

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    hagadoo.com Forum Index -> Deer Hunter 2005 Map Making
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
drwhitetail

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:25 am Post subject: Ground Textures Reply with quote

I understand that one can only have 8 different ground layers on a given map (2 textures per layer?), and I've read that Dan has a way of using the color palette to make it seem like there are more.

I also realize that the hybrid patch adds additional models to the mix to help create some variety, at least with trees and models. Does anyone know if there textures in DH04 that could also be used? Or...are there any good custom ground textures to try and gain a little more variety between maps?

I could be wrong, but it just seems like there are only a few choices of dirt and grass to work from when creating maps. Maybe I just need to experiment with using different combinations or something. I guess I can try out Dan's method from that other post as well. Just wondering how the guys who have put out several maps each get around this dilemma?

Thanks again for any advice! Very Happy
kentmaple

usa.gif

Reputation: 43.4Reputation: 43.4Reputation: 43.4Reputation: 43.4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:31 pm Post subject: Re: Ground Textures Reply with quote

there is a ton of free seamless ground textures you can find online by googling for them.  Just put the ground texture image in your custom map folder and make sure to resize the texture to 512 x 512 or 256 x 256  before using in your map (most of the textures I've dl'd from the net are wallpaper size - 1280 x 720, etc. - and they have to be square to work in the game).  Then when loading textures in the editor click on the ... and change the default file type *.stx to *.jpg and all the .jpg's in your custom map folder should show up.  

I've also created some of my own textures  for maps by taking a picture of the ground and messing around with the image in an image editor (i.e. Paint,etc) to make it seamless.

going for different combos w/ the editor can also produce interesting results and more variety.  i.e. not always using the main file, for ex. drygrass.stx, w/ the corresponding mac file- drygrass_mac.stx.

most of this you probably already knew but hopefully I said something that is of some use.

"Please stop calling me that, people are gonna think I have a bladder control problem" - Squirty Pants
drwhitetail

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:45 pm Post subject: Re: Ground Textures Reply with quote

Good ideas. I did know that you could use custom, just wasn't sure of the steps or requirements to get them to work. I've done that for other games actually.

When choosing a texture, what exactly is the purpose of the 2nd texture or mac file? Would one want to use one of these in combination with your dl'd custom texture?

I wish they would just come out with a new DH with HD graphics!  Laughing
DanthemanBoone
Staff
Map Maker

newzealand.gif

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:59 pm Post subject: Re: Ground Textures Reply with quote

There is untold you can do with texture to get the result you want.

A dood exanple is to use the snow texture... snow det bf
with any                                                 snow macro
will give a wind ridged snow texture

but if you load  ........................................ snow det bf
with.........................................................dirt mac ga
you will have a yellow wind ridged sand texture

If you change the .......................................dirt macro ga
to.............................................................dirt macro bf
you will have a grey ridged sand texture.

You can load two macros.. two details  or load a macro before a det.. anything you like.  
Then bring in custom textures  and also change the tinting of the custom textures in a photo editing program to change the colours.
there are some custom ground texture on site here.
http://www.hagadoo.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&cid=24

Then you can use the paint map function in the editor to go over the textures to change one texture to several different colour varieties of one basic texture.

You can also go into the tex folder of custom models and change the tex file from timber sidings to brick, stone cement etc etc.
Just rename your new texture exactly the same as the one you want to replace then add it to the tex folder.
Computer will tell you there is already a file with the same name in the folder and ask if you want to replace.. click yes.

Textures in the Editor are only limited by your imagination and the time you have to spend on them.

So go Knock yourselves out.

Old Hunters never die.They just sit around the campfire and tell the biggest lies.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Visit Evo-Hacks Today
drwhitetail

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:57 pm Post subject: Re: Ground Textures Reply with quote

Since I'm in the process of adding ground textures, I figured I could just reply to this post.

I'm trying to use bitmaps that I've created in the fractal texture placer but I can't seem to get them to work.

They are created in gimp, using 640X640 greyscale, 96dpi, and they are saved as a .png. When I try to create a child object->edit->bitmap-> I choose my .png, but it shows up all white in the preview. If I hit the green button with arrows, I get the error: "Could not load image. Check if it matches current settings 640X640".

Well, the images match 640X640...do they need to be a different dpi? Or any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's amazing how fast one loses their way around the editor when they haven't used it for a few months! Crying or Very sad
DanthemanBoone
Staff
Map Maker

newzealand.gif

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:57 am Post subject: Re: Ground Textures Reply with quote

Try saving as a png first then as a greyscale. You may have to save as both each time you edit it.
I use windows paint for editing and even though there is a grayscle option there it dosnt work.. I have to open it in another proram and save again as png then greyscale before the editor will accept it..

Old Hunters never die.They just sit around the campfire and tell the biggest lies.

Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
drwhitetail

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:08 am Post subject: Re: Ground Textures Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Dan.

What I ended up doing in Gimp was making sure I flatten the image before I export the image to .png and now it seems to work. Smile
kentmaple

usa.gif

Reputation: 43.4Reputation: 43.4Reputation: 43.4Reputation: 43.4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:11 pm Post subject: Re: Ground Textures Reply with quote

When using gimp there are two things you may have to do to get the greyscale image to work after its in 640 x 640 .png format.

1. click on the  Layer header, go down to Transparancy and click REMOVE ALPHA CHANNEL

2. click on the Image header and than go down to Mode and click Greyscale

I've used Gimp before and sometimes they add an alpha channel automatically to an image, this has to be removed for it to work in Dh05.

Sorry didn't see your response Dr. WT, Flattening the image should remove the alpha channel layer and is much simpler to do.  Seems like I had tried that before and it didn't work but I am obviously wrong.  If you have troubles w/ bitmaps in the future and flattening the image doesn't work, look to see if the image has an alpha layer and remove it.

"Please stop calling me that, people are gonna think I have a bladder control problem" - Squirty Pants
Visit Revolution-Mods.com Today
Deerkiller54

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:35 pm Post subject: Re: Ground Textures Reply with quote

hello i just joined this website a few days ago and was wondering how hard it is to actually make your own maps and looking for some suggestions how.
REZ325
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Site Admin
Staff

usa.gif

votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:21 pm Post subject: Re: Ground Textures Reply with quote

Deerkiller54 @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:35 pm wrote:
hello i just joined this website a few days ago and was wondering how hard it is to actually make your own maps and looking for some suggestions how.

If you follow the tutorial located here on the site, its not that hard. If you get stuck, you will find more then enough help here to fix your problems
Welcome aboard Smile

Get registered or Log in
Lucky
Map Maker

usa.gif

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:36 pm Post subject: Re: Ground Textures Reply with quote

REZ325 @ Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:21 am wrote:
Deerkiller54 @ Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:35 pm wrote:

If you follow the tutorial located here on the site, its not that hard. If you get stuck, you will find more then enough help here to fix your problems
Welcome aboard Smile

http://www.hagadoo.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=602

Get registered or Log in
Get registered or Log in
Deerkiller54

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:37 pm Post subject: Re: Ground Textures Reply with quote

ok thanks for the help
Visit Evo-Install Today
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view hagadoo.com Forum Index ->  Deer Hunter 2005 Map Making All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: