Search for at
hagadoo.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 8 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
Topgun #3 /BiWeekly 11-19 - 2:00 pm est. - 12-3 2:00 pm est. DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:49 pm
ron4560 View latest post
alot of dh2005 questions Deer Hunter 2005 cowboy 7 Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 am
cowboy View latest post
recording and screenshots Info, questions and suggestions for hunts. cowboy 4 Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:55 pm
cowboy View latest post
Topgun Week # 2/BiWeekly # 22 11-5 -11-19 3 pm est -2 pm est DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 2 Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:52 pm
ron4560 View latest post
Biweekly #19 09-24 - 10-08 Results DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 1 Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:23 pm
Vic View latest post
PM's General Talk REZ325 1 Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:17 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post
Results Topgun Week 1/Biweekly #21 10-22 -11-5 DH2005 Weekly Hunt ron4560 0 Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm
ron4560 View latest post
1st Deer with a Bow Deer Hunter 2005 jummpy123 2 Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:16 pm
DanthemanBoone View latest post

Creating Corn/Wheat Fields

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    hagadoo.com Forum Index -> Deer Hunter 2005 Map Making
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
drwhitetail

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:09 pm Post subject: Creating Corn/Wheat Fields Reply with quote

I've seen this topic posted in a few threads, but I haven't really seen the answer I'm looking for. I have several large non-symmetric fields of corn and wheat in the current map I'm working on, and I'm trying to figure out how to make them look good in game without compromising FPS too terribly.

I've been trying different methods of copying and manually doing it but it seems to be super time consuming and I'm afraid I'm adding too many objects this way really affecting frame rates negatively.

Does anyone have a good efficient method of placing corn or wheat for large fields? Thanks! Rolling Eyes
DanthemanBoone
Staff
Map Maker

newzealand.gif

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:21 pm Post subject: Re: Creating Corn/Wheat Fields Reply with quote

Corn feilds or wheat fields can be done 2 ways.
The easiest is to use the Dynamics , place a ground texture and assign the dynamic object to the texture.
The best corn to use is the 'Corn Cross" object found in the vegetation section of the 04 Hybrid models. It uses the least frame speeds and lines up nicely.
Enter up the object then just below the layer is a control named 'uniform'
open it and set the HDist and The VDist numbers to 4. That will set the corn in straight rows and playing with the numbers will change the spacings. The density setting  becomes obsolete when using this tool as it is overridden

Set the distance way out to 200 or 250 and adjust the size of the corn and spacing of the plants to suit your frame speeds.
The editor has a built in counter along the bottom bar. check the editor reading against the game reading to figure what editor frame speeds you need to work with.They are not the same. If the veiw distance in your map is min 220 there is no need to set the dynamics past 220.
But if the veiw distance is 400 you may have trouble gettin the dynamics out that far without bogging down the game . Consider dropping the veiw distance back to 300 and set the dynamics to about 250.

The second method is the copy method and is time consuming .
Place a corn plant in one corner of the feild, line it up with the controls to a  multiple of 90 degrees axis and select the X or Z button to move it only on that axis.
Copythe plants across the feild at the spacings you want.
Go back to the first plant  and change the x or z axis and copy it along the length of the feild using a closer spacing than the cross spacing . Provided the axis setting are dead right you will get perfect straight lines both ways. In about 5 hours you can plant a pretty big field.

the first method is quick and easy but the corn will dissapear and leave a bare paddock on low setting, but allows low end computer users to set their frame speeds in game.
The second method can not be controlled by the player and the corn will be their on any setting and frame speed will not vary as much on lower settings.

Both methods can be used to lign up objects such as plantation trees , soy beans  etc etc.Just be aware that some textures or objects are more demanding than others for frame speeds so use those that perform the best.

Generally I use dynamics for fun maps so everyone can chose the setting that suits their computer, and copy method for competition maps to keep everyone in the same difficulty range and slow Ron down.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in

Have fun

Old Hunters never die.They just sit around the campfire and tell the biggest lies.

Please login to see this image.
Get registered or Log in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
drwhitetail

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:50 pm Post subject: Re: Creating Corn/Wheat Fields Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Dan. I may just have to do the dynamic method. I have a lot of fields in this map and after spending about an hour just doing one field with wheat, I'm not sure it's worth working 30hrs on the map.

I used a method I saw on a different forum where I used a thicker/more graphic intense object around the outside and then used a boxier less pleasing to the eye wheat on the inside lined up in straight rows. I think it would work great, but man it's going to be a time sink trying to get them filled in.

It sounds like I'd be better off just adding the dynamic objects to field textures. I'll try it like that and see how it turns out, thanks again!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view hagadoo.com Forum Index ->  Deer Hunter 2005 Map Making All times are UTC - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: